I need a Hayward Clamp Bolt Assembly

After a few days of 80+ weather in SoCal, I figured I should get ahead of the game and clean my filters (Hayward de4820). When I was putting it back together, I realized that the clamp bolt and nut had both stripped. I then learned what you guys know- the clamp has been discontinued and these parts are obsolete. While my friendly neighborhood pool store had some spare parts, none of them fit my clamp. I went to Lowe's, no luck there, and then I went to Leslie's, where he tried to give me a $240 fix. Since I can live with a green pool for a couple of days, I figured I'd wait and ask you experts first.

I've posted a picture of the bolt and sleeve nut. Any ideas where I can find a replacement? I haven't found luck on Google. Or, do I need to (gulp) bite the bullet and get a new clamp? I sure hope not- I'd much rather spend that $$$ on ingredients for making beer!

Thanks,
RH

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 148
I have never seen a fastener like that, so I'll start with: I don't know anything about this filter, so my ideas are truly off the grid. But I'll toss out a couple of ideas and see if something sticks. The biggest obstacle I am having is visualizing how it fits.

If you have access to a tap and die set, you could clean the threads with a die. It has been my experience, the old nut will still work, if it has clean threads to run up on, but a chased bolt sometimes cannot handle a lot of torque. The problem of getting a new nut to function as the original, will be the one in the picture appears to function as a bushing/filler/washer.

You also might be able to McGyver an eye bolt or j bolt, if you can find one in the right threads. Check fastenall or Grainger?

I work at a large theater in town, so I asked the stagehands if they had any suggestions. After trying it with a tap and die set, one of the guys said, "heck, I'll just take it home and make you a new one!" So, instead of paying $240 for a part, I'll spend $25 on a bottle of Jack, and my friend gets a fun project to work on (well, two fun projects, if you include the bottle of Jack.)!

And in somewhat related news, I hit an exacta at the track yesterday, so I can spend THAT money on beer ingredients! :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.