Primo vs. Big Green Egg vs. Kamado

msujohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2011
Frisco, Texas
I would like to purchase a ceramic grill and would like to know about the pro's/con's of each. I am still deciding between getting a XL or L. I would use this to grill (steaks, chicken, etc) and smoke (Pork Butt, ribs, etc).
When you buy these, does it come with just the grill? Or do you get the table around it and accessories (racks, etc)?
I would appreciate any insight?

I bought the big green egg XL a couple of years ago and have never looked back. I had previously owned several gas grills +/- infrared tec and eventually all the burners rust out or crack. I bought the long table with it and installed my own hooks along the side for tools, grills etc... A couple words of advice if you get one, get a long pair of oven mitts as the fires can get really hot, way hotter than any other gas grill or charcoal grill I have owned. Use only wood charcoal. Use a heat gun to light the charcoal, takes about 2 minutes. Get a thermapen from thermoworks, pull your steaks off at 115 degrees, cover with foil for 5-10 minutes and they will be perfectly med-rare. enjoy.

My 2 cents:

Ceramic cookers are great! You can use just lump charcoal or sometimes wood chunks for smoking. Low and slow, or sear temps (600F+). My suggestion would be go with the larger of either the BGE or Primo. I have the Primo Oval XL and if you are cooking small, you can use the divider to cut the firebox in 1/2. I have most of the accessories (D-Plates, extended cooking grates, ash tool, grate lifter). In most cases all these are in addition to the cost of the ceramic grill.

BGE vs Primo can get into a Coke vs Pepsi level of discussion. They both do a similar job. You just need to review the sizes and pros/cons of each. Dealer support, manufacture support, etc. My decision was made based upon the oval shape as I do full spare ribs and like the width. Also, the price was a bit lower and it is made in the USA (if that matters). Also, you can purchase online and get support from Primo.

Either way you cannot go wrong with the final cooked product. For more information, there is a owners forum over at primogrillforum.com with tips, tricks and such. I am sure BGE owners have one also.

brisket1.jpg

xlsmoke.jpg

filet2.jpg

pizza.jpg

Now I am hungry!!

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.