Pump not priming and NO filter pressure. HELP !

Jul 24, 2011
I vacuumed my old pool the other day. Now I cant get the pump to maintain prime , it seems to surge. It almost fills the pump pot , then bang , it's empty. And there is no pressure in the DE filter . As the pump fills with water it surges, almost fills then seems to shoot the contents of the basket, pump pot to the filter , air comes out the bleed valve, then it seems to suck back in. I don't believe that there are any suction leaks or clogged lines. I did find some things in the impeller but clean now! When I turn the pump off and attempt to open the lid it is in a vacuum. Next step is to inspect the Hayward Multiport valve and inside the DE filter.The return lines just keep pumping lots of air in the pool . Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks !!!!!

Almost surely you have a suction side leak....somewhere between the pump and the skimmer.

Is the pool full enough so the skimmer doesn't suck air? sometimes a stuck weir will let a skimmer suck air, too.

Another common place is the pump strainer basket lid not being on tight or the o-ring being defective.

It is not your multiport nor your filter....they're on the pressure side.

Thanks for your input. This pool has one of those round floating weir in the skimmer basket. I have both out. Water level is high! Yes, I agree it all points to suction side leak, however for some reason I trust the old "1 and quarter copper plumbing. I still am not positive the my suction line is 100% open. Just one pipe coming out of the ground to pump, it appears that it goes to the skimmer and main drain. Snake, jetter ? I've already tried the rubber drain king in both directions.

If your pump strainer basket suddenly empties of water, that water is replaced with.....air. Once you figure where that air is being sucked into the system, it will stop. The piping can certainly be the problem but it seldom is. It is far more likely to be the lid, a valve or a broken joint......all above ground.

Are you saying your suction line INTO the pump is 1.25"? That's VERY small.

PVpools said:
I vacuumed my old pool the other day. Now I cant get the pump to maintain prime
Sounds like it could also be a clogged impeller and/or suction line. Either can prevent a pump from priming.

Try the WET RAG trick. Use an expendible dish towel, because it may get dirty. Get it dripping wet. With the pump running, wrap the towel around the different fittings and glue joints on the suction side. If there's a leak at the joint, it will (theoretically) suck in the water and alleviate the air leak. That's your source of suction side leak. It works MOST of the time.

Thanks All ! Yes the suction( Copper pipe) line is 1" an1/4 , very small I know . At this point I'm almost sure that I have a partially plugged suction line. At the equipment pad there is a 1and 1/4 copper pipe coming from the pool , it is connected via a PVC coupler to the pump, so very little above ground plumbing. I'm presuming that line goes to the main drain and skimmer, no valves! I have tried the drain king tool in both directions. BUT, there is no easy way to plug off main drain. How in the heck am I ever going to get this line unplugged ? Any ideas ? Thanks !!!

Flush the suction backwards from the pump to the skimmer. Remove the pump basket lid, wrap a wet rag around the hose and stuff into the suction line going into the pump and turn on the hose. If that doesn't work, you could try a Drain King and do the same thing.

Also, while you have the pump basket lid off, remove the pump basket, and reach into the pump inlet at the bottom and see if there is anything stuck in there.

Thanks again for all the input. I removed the pump yesterday, tore it apart, checked the impeller, it's free and clear. Now I have easy access to the one and only 1" 1/4 copper suction line. So me next step is to attempt to flush it out backwards. I already tried drain kink thing, no luck! Compressed air, jetter, snake? I'll see what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.