Chlorine Concentration

brownchristian

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, TX
Am I correct in assuming that now that I lowered my CYA to 40 and now can maintain a FC level of 3-5 instead of 7-12 when my CYA was over 100 that the concentration of chlorine in my pool is 1/2 to 2/3 less meaning clothes, pool floats, etc... wont' bleach out as fast?

Yes and I don't know.

Yes, you can maintain a lower FC level and have the same protection you had.
I don't know if things will not bleach out as fast. The higher FC was bound up to the higher CYA, so you should have the same available chlorine as before. I know that affects the sanitizing, I don't know if it works the same for bleaching.

Thanks Richard. I didnt really know if understood it either. I know the reason for the higher FC was due to the higher CYA bonding to the chlorine more but I don't really understand how that affects the bleaching action of swimmers and gear.

My understanding* is that the higher FC for higher CYA is to maintain a common effective chlorine (oxidizing/sanitizing) level. This means, to me, that any bleaching effects should be the same. Hopefully, this shouldn't be a problem at normal recommended levels.

*My understanding can be quite limited, as I AM an idiot.

Ohm_Boy, your understanding is right on. The active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) level that is what bleaches swimsuits and oxidizes skin and hair is roughly proportional to the FC/CYA ratio. So 10 ppm FC with 100 ppm CYA is roughly the same as 4 ppm FC with 40 ppm CYA in terms of its effects. The chlorine bound to CYA isn't completely innocuous, but its oxidizing power is 1/100th as strong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.