Jun 12, 2009
Ithaca, NY
I run a two pools and a hot tub at a fitness center. The spa had foam issues about 4 years ago so we turned off the air blowers and now just run water jets. Since the air blowers were turned off, foaming has not been an issue until about 3 weeks ago it suddenly started foaming badly and I am at my wits end trying to figure out why. The spa is chlorinated with calcium hypochlrite and is drained once per week and shocked once per week. The foaming returns immediately after the spa is re-filled so draining it more often doesn't seem like it would fix it. Here is what I have tried so far:
1st, I tested the source water's calcium hardness and found it was only 80ppm so I've been adding calcium hypochloride to bring the hardness up to ~200ppm immediatly after the spa is re-filled. This seems to marginally reduce the foaming for a few hours after the spa is re-filled.
2nd, I've disinfectd and scrubbed the entire spa to try to remove any contaminants.
3rd I also soaked the sand filter with a filter cleaning product to remove an contaminants from the filter.
Any Ideas?!?

50 bathers per day is a lot of body waste and that is the likely cause of the foaming. With that many, I'd be shocking every night with bleach or chlorinating liquid. I would also want an Ozonator on there. Water changes would be needed every 10 days to 2 weeks too.

Scott

!) What equipment is you filter system comprised of?
2) When was the last decontamination?
3) What are the chem levels of your fill water and your spa water?

Are your guests asked to shower first? Foaming is almost always due to bather wastes.

Scott

I've been having the same issue. I wish people would shower more often before using the spa, but hardly anyone does. No matter how many signs are posted. I've just been doing partial drains twice a week, keeping up on my filter cleaning, and living with it. I know the water's clean and that's enough peace of mind for me.

If you find a solution Tmaragni, pass it along.

I would bet the massive foaming incident was brought on by someone getting in who had slathered some personal product on, and its now in your spa and water.

I would look into switching to a cartridge filter system and a couple of extra sets of cartridges that you can soak and clean in rotation.

I dont know that I would soak them in bleach. maybe some really diluted dishwashing detergent followed by a really good rinse.

He has a sand filter per his first post. With such a high bather load I would think sand would be tough to maintain and keep clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.