trusted aquarium forum?

The Mermaid Queen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Northern KY
Does anyone know of an aquarium forum/website that would be equivalent to TFP in knowledge and integrity? I am thinking about reopening our 90 gallon tank (was reef, then freshwater community) and I would like to be armed with as much info as possible. I don't want a site that simply hawks their products.

I have kept fish for years with much success, and a few failures, and would like to start out doing things properly from the get-go.

Any suggestions on water testing kits? If I have learned anything here, it is that proper water testing and maintenance is the key to any body of water!!

I am probably going to go fresh, since DH wants a "big ol' school of neons" :roll: and fresh is much less $$$ than salt or reef.

I used to have a 90 gallon reef tank and would go to ReefCentral.com. I haven't been there in a while, so I don't know if they have anything dedicated to freshwater. I learned alot from that site and a good bit from some local stores. Most places around here are the same as a pool store, but I found 2 or 3 that were knowledgeable. Someone I work with knows of a freshwater site. I will ask and see what it is.

Good Luck

Hey kmb, when we had our reef tank we were near NO... Purchased initial set-up from Mark's Exotic Aquatics in (?) Gretna. Never sure we weren't sold a bill of goods, but until the flood of '95 we had a gorgeous tank. Grew some REALLY spiffy red caulerpa (out of the rock) that practically took over the tank! After the flood, we never could recover. Eventually shut'er down for a couple years, then converted to freshwater. Then we had to shut down in '05 for the move north, and never have set it up again.
Thanks for checking on that site for me!

Thanks... we will go fresh for now, though maybe one day... I went to reefcentral.com and got really nostalgic!

I am thinking that if we go FW, we will have a chance at a new pool in a couple years. Reef tank would eat up all the pool money... we need new canister, pro. skimmer, live rock and sand, and perhaps most importantly, (and expensively,) lighting. With FW, it won't be nearly as costly to start up!!

The guy I work with said he hasn't looked at the site in a while, but he thinks it is aquariacentral.com. I have never been to that site, so I don't know if it is any good.

Sorry it took so long. I'm sure you found a good site by now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh another fish lover too! I have kept aquariums since I was a teen. We have 3 in the family room/kitchen

10 gal- goldfish
10 gal- temp holding spot for 2 bluegill
32 gal mixed communuity tropical, but houses one rapidly growing bluegill! Looking for a 125g set up for the native fish.

I usually go to www.fishforum.com.au
I just got myself a 75L tank with 6 fish, got given to us on freecycle. Sadly 4 of the fish died shortly after the relocation, and only 2 goldfish left. We bought another 3 little GF, one of which has died due to ammonia spike as well. Made me finally buy a test kit, to discover that i had over 8ppm of ammonia in the tank :oops:

Now it seems that the tank has finished cycling, as ammonia is constantly at 0, and fish seem to be happy.

Just got 4 mystery snails the other day so the fish is entertained trying to eat them every now and then :-D

I have Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit which tests for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH.

I like the Aquarium Phamaceuticals kits. I use the Saltwater Master for the same tests (their comparators are decent for printed paper cards and the tests themselves are good ones) and use SeaTest and ReefTest bt instant Ocean (Most of their tests are made by Hach, they seem to use the same reagent pillows) for most of the others but then again, just like with my pool, I have so many different test kits, many junk and a few are decent. I DO like the LaMotte tests but they are PRICY!

Laurapalooza,

your set up sound like mine, with different fish though.
skinny tall 10 -15 tanks, one on each side of the main tank, approx 75 gallons. All flush mounted into a wall so it looks like one tank.
Kissing Gourami's, Micky Mouse tetras, plain goldfish, chinese algae eaters, rainbow shark tetras, and an evil red eyed fish in one of the side tanks.

Here's my issue. ALGAE in the main tank. I mean all over the place. I use a standard overhead 25 watt flourescent bulb. I was told that I need to get a special one that can help prevent the algae, or at least won't contribute to the growth.

What do I do?

I have the algae problem too. Fish tank walls become green in less then a week :shock:

I've put in 4 mystery snails to eat the algae, but it doesn't look like they do a good job. :lol:

There are some chemicals in a pet shop to fight algae, i just haven't had a chance to get there yet.

Unfortunately you cannot just shock the fish tank :twisted:

Nother good site

Try a website called The Krib. It is not a forum but contains a ton of solid info. It is specifically geared towards Planted Aquaria and has lots of good info on algea control and water quality. We moved two years ago, hence the pool and I have not replanted my 90 gal yet but plan to soon. I had it set up for about five years as a planted tank and it was a lot of fun. If you do it correctly you will find the tank will be very stable and hopefully the plants will out compete the algea most of the time. The plants do require very good light and the addition of carbon dioxide to do well, but generaly my problem was too much growth and what do do with the excess plant material. I never put any chemicals in to balance the water except to remove the chlorine.
Try it sometime.

Hey Poolsean! So sorry that I am just seeing this post!!

Hmmm well surprisingly in the 21 yrs that I have been keeping tanks I have never had an alage problem in any of my tanks. My 32 gal flatback hex is even beside the window and it gets the morning sun going through it. Do you have live plants by chance? That usually will cause an alage problem. And there are several other causes such as if you have to small of a filtration system for the tank. leaving the lights on too long, placing the aquarium in a location with direct sunlight, overfeeding the fish, not performing regular water changes and changing the filters monthly. (you may need to do this more often like 2x per month if you have live plants) and using water with high nutrients.

I always keep at least 3-4 corry cats, a pleco or a silver cat in my 32gal tank. And I have always used plastic plants. So maybe that is why I haven't had issues with alage problem. Also don't leave lights on very often. I tend to only turn them on in the late afternoon, early evening and they are on just a few hours tops.

Also, every couple of months I do a complete tear down and wash out of my tanks. Especailly the 10 gals. I do those at least every 2-3 months and the 32 gal at least every 6 months and rinse everything with cold water.

Poolsean said:
Laurapalooza,

your set up sound like mine, with different fish though.
skinny tall 10 -15 tanks, one on each side of the main tank, approx 75 gallons. All flush mounted into a wall so it looks like one tank.
Kissing Gourami's, Micky Mouse tetras, plain goldfish, chinese algae eaters, rainbow shark tetras, and an evil red eyed fish in one of the side tanks.

Here's my issue. ALGAE in the main tank. I mean all over the place. I use a standard overhead 25 watt flourescent bulb. I was told that I need to get a special one that can help prevent the algae, or at least won't contribute to the growth.

What do I do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.