Does the Hayward EcoStar Motor have Bearings?

I see it is a permanent magnet motor so doesn't use bearings. no contact so more efficient motor.

we had an ecostar pump making noise so the first thing we thought was the bearings went. but notice now the noise is coming from the pump and also water spurted from under the pump cover when unit was turned off so the cover seal is worn and needs replacement. could be the reason why pump is making noise. maybe impeller is now damaged due to an air leak and we have been running the pump 24/7 as well.

Every pump motor has bearings but since it is a motor that is run by a VFD, the motor is inverter duty rated which means the bearings used are designed to withstand the high voltage discharges that can occur with a VFD. There may be special skills/equipment required to replace them plus there may also be limited availability. Have you checked with Hayward?

mas985 said:
Every pump motor has bearings but since it is a motor that is run by a VFD, the motor is inverter duty rated which means the bearings used are designed to withstand the high voltage discharges that can occur with a VFD. There may be special skills/equipment required to replace them plus there may also be limited availability. Have you checked with Hayward?

we checked with our Hayward supplier and they said they can not find any bearing part.

You really should talk directly with the Hayward techs. It might be that the parts are not available yet because the pump is fairly new in production but they may be able to get one for you.

mas985 said:
You really should talk directly with the Hayward techs. It might be that the parts are not available yet because the pump is fairly new in production but they may be able to get one for you.

but a permanent magnet motor uses a magnetic field so there is no contact parts. so no need for bearings. I know from the info it is a permanent magnet motor so googled permanent magnet motor but other from that couldn't find any info in the manual.

Yes, the motor uses a permanent magnet but that has absolutely nothing to do with bearings. The permanent magnet replaces the wound rotor of an induction motor. It does not replace the need for bearings.

It definitely has bearings. Wether or not you'll be able to get into it and replace them, that's a different story.

Is this thing not under warranty? If it isn't it can't be that far out. I'd be on the phone with whoever I got it from.

thepoolman said:
It definitely has bearings. Wether or not you'll be able to get into it and replace them, that's a different story.

Is this thing not under warranty? If it isn't it can't be that far out. I'd be on the phone with whoever I got it from.

yes still under warranty I believe. it doesn't sound like its the motor anyway but we will remove the motor and test it separately from the pump tomorrow and find out.

It's my guess the pump is making the noise. might be the impeller. I guess we got a pump with a bad cover seal gasket and this could be the reason the strainer basket never filled up properly (we thought we had a line sucking air somewhere but pressure tests came back ok). always had a problem with this one. Apparently it was sucking air from under the cover. when cut off water spurts from under the cover. sometimes also when the pump is turned on. this was very hard to spot at first but it got worst. but now probably too late and having pump run 24/7 just must have burn something up in the pump. we will check the pump out tomorrow and see whats gone bad.

we have 6 of these ecostars running in our pools and this is the only one so far we had a problem with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ohm_Boy said:
Yes, it has bearings. The magnets are for rotary motive force, not levitation. Agreed that they may or may not be servicable, but it does have bearings.

Thanks.

it would be good if they used some sort of electromagnetic set up instead of bearings. but I guess that would require a lot of power.

We found the pump seal leaked water into the motor and most likely washed the grease off the bearings.

The pump seal went most likely due to the strainer basket cover sucking air. This probably was the reason why the strainer basket never completely filled up from day one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.