What kind of decking?

Jan 11, 2011
Kansas City, MO
I am looking for advice/suggestions on the following types of decking:

Ultradeck from Menards ($1.49 a foot)

Cedar Tone - pressure treated ($.73 a foot)

Red Cedar - ($1.05 a foot)

This decking will be for our above ground pool deck. We currently have the ultradeck on our back deck, and after five years like it. However, it is more expensive than the other two options, gets hot (our back deck is in the shade in the afternoon), doesn't look the greatest after a year or so, and a lot of people seem to have problems with it. We are open to other brands of composite but can't afford more than the price of the ultradeck. Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

I'm not sure which would be better, but you will want something that doesn't splinter easily. I'm thinking the Red Cedar might be better since you can sand it smooth if needed.

I have never used composite myself but I have seen it on the shelf and it is very expensive. I have seen some complain about some composite products "Delamianting" and some have had a very hard time getting warrenty service for this condition. At the prices that they get for this type decking I would make sure that I did not get the type that is having issues like that. My deck is treated deck boards and they serve my needs well and look good also. There is maintenance with them but that is true with anything I think.

I recently posted my deck pics from last years pool and deck build

My decking is the new home depot veranda Brazilian walnut it is PVC coated which should prevent delam issues. It is also installable with hidden hardware. I will try to post direct link to my prior post.

Very satisfied including 1st winter durability ( no issues at all )

I suppose that depends on just how long you want that deck up! Me I want it for a very long time so in ground footers are a must for me... Also how high off the ground will your deck be? a couple inches or couple feet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.