Basic Newbie Questions

Gunnert

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 1, 2012
Planning fiberglass pool install for this spring, probably around 17k gallon. I'll be using Intelliflo VS pump, cartridge filter, chlorinator (no heater). Pool size will be about 38 x 16, max depth 6'.
How many skimmers will I need?
How many returns? Should they be looped?
Should PVC piping be all the same size? 2"? 1 1/2"?
Should I insist on no flex piping?
Should 3 way valves be avoided?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have done your homework at least know what questions to ask. The following is my personal opinions for you questions and being a relative newbie myself take it for what its worth.

I would have two skimmers. For my house the wind swirls and I wanted two locations for suction side so I had two but I do not have a main drain. Are you going to have a main drain?

For a pool that size I would say at least four returns but a lot of of that depends on your exact pool. If you have steps you should have a least two just to clean off the steps.

Most people on this forum would defiantly say go with all 2" rigid plumbing. If you have to have some 1.5 have it on the return side not suction.

Don't know why you would avoid three way valves? Someone else may be able to elaborate.

Again only my $0.2

we are currently trying to install the Viking Fiji (if it would STOP raining in South Texas) , it is 15x34x6 and we will have one skimmer placed where the prevailing wind helps clear debris, and 4 returns. No maindrain. This is what was recommended by the PB and we are doing an assisted install- means we do MOST of the work with their backup and recommendations. So far, they have been helpful but I always like to check back with TFP to get "real" people opinions since the salesman is JUST THAT, a Sales man!!! He's kindof a slick willie kind of character, lol. I LOVE all the advise we get here :)

Update: The PB I'm talking with will be installing two skimmers and 4 returns.

I just came from the Bldg Permit office in my county.... this is another "bag of worms" that I have to make sure I get right with PB, upfront!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.