New Pool Needs A Little Help Getting Numbers In Order

Jan 5, 2012
I've enjoyed reading all the great information at TFP. My pool was finished 2 months ago and I need a little help getting the numbers in line. To my best calculations I've got around 17K gals in my in ground Pebbletec pool with SWG. I'm just looking to make sure my thinking is in order before I do something that may be way out of line or not needed.

FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
pH 8.0
T/A 70
CH 150
CYA 40
Temp 60 degrees F
Salt 3200 ppm

I know the pH is high and I will add acid.

The CH and CYA are low as well.

The Pool Calculator is telling me to add 24 pounds of Calcium Chloride to get the CH to 300. That just seems like a lot.

The pool has a spa so I'm thinking that CH of 150 may be better than 300. Perhaps someone can provide some guidance.

The CYA is 40 and I'm in an area that gets 350 days of bright sun a year so I should probably maintain it at 70-80. What do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

A few questions...
Are those numbers from your testing or from a pool store?
Can you do a test of the tap water, or get a copy of the municipal water info?
Many parts of California have high calcium levels and if that is the case, you may need advice on that from someone with a higher pay grade than mine to advise you. If you have just filled the pool, then the local water may have CH of 150 or maybe the pool company added some calcium. I have no idea how long it will take for that level to rise due to concentration. Someone here may be able to help on that one. In any case, raising it to 300 may be too much, if your CH will be rising with time. Not sure where is the safe level to begin, but 250 is the bottom of the range. Lower may be safe for a short time, I dunno. But, when you do have to raise it, it will take many pounds, yes. I see on the Pool Calculator that 10 lbs will get you to 210 ppm CH, but you may need to go higher. Let's see what other advice you get on this, someone else will join in in a little while.
As for the CYA, first check your owners manual but the one SWG manual I've read said 85 for CYA in TX and FLA, I assume that your area may be similar.

Thanks for the quick responses.

The readings are what I got with the TF-100 kit.

Here is what I got about the local water which was updated as of 8/2011.

Analyte Unit Range Average
Alkalinity ppm 91 - 130 110
Calcium ppm 17 - 58 35
Hardness ppm 54 - 170 110
pH Units 8.0 - 8.3 8.2
Potassium ppm 3.3 - 6.0 4.4
Sodium ppm 22 - 46 31

If you decide to bump up the CH I would only bring it up to about 200. I recommend on keeping your pH in the 7.8-8.2 range as much as you can for now. If your pH goes much below 7.8 you get negative on the CSI real quick. Once the water starts to warm up your CSI will improve, closer to 0.

Plan on raising your CYA to 80 in the next month or two. Don't bring it up at once, a couple of additions will help you not to overshoot it.

You said your pool was finished 2 months ago. You may want to double check what the CH level should be with the PB since it can effect your warranty. 24 lbs is how much the calculator came up with for me using your numbers. You don't have to bring it all the way to 300 the low end recommendation is 250, (that's only 16 lbs according to the calculator) you can start there and work your way up.

As for the spa, why do you think 150 would be better?

With an SWG, you should bring CYA up like you said. Start with 70, add more if you feel you need it. Its easy to add more, not as easy to lower it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.