Switching from Tri-chlor to Bromine

Feb 6, 2012
I have a trichlor feeder with a trichlor ran indoor pool and i am looking into switching to bromine. can i use the same chlorinator? is there a concern with mixing the two chemicals in the same chlorinator?

You might want to consider switching to liquid chlorine.

Don't put bromine tabs in the same feeder with chlorine tabs. Even if you want to go to bromine, I would recommend that you avoid bromine tabs as they contain a different type of stabilizer (DMH) that can build up and cause similar problems as cyanuric acid.

There should not be hardly any CYA with an indoor pool. There is no sun to burn off the FC so it isn't needed, though 10 ppm does seem to help with keeping CCs low and FC at a solidly measurable level. Using chlorinating liquid and an ORP based feeder is the best bet for you to begin with.

Scott

Bromine tabs require much more water (flow) to dissolve than trichlor. You could start using bromine in the chlorinator but it may not have enough flow of water to dissolve enough bromine to maintain a bromine residual. The minimum recommended level of bromine is 4.0 ppm. You will need a bromine test kit too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.