New Tucson pool

Feb 4, 2012
Tucson Arizona
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and would like to share some construction photos of my new pool as it is being built. I am sure I will be seeking all kinds of advice on this forum on how to keep my backyard oasis in tip top shape. Here is phase one, the excavation.

IMG_3162.jpg

Welcome! Your picture didn't show up, but I am looking forward to your build. Just 13 months ago I didn't know squat about taking care of a pool, but TFP has made it a breeze for me. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as there is a ton of knowledge on this forum.

Thanks! We really enjoy our property.

It is going to be a variant of pebble sheen. It is basically pebble sheen with some abalone shell bits impregnated in it. They started doing the plumbing today, but I got home when the sun was already down, so no new picture to post yet.

Shane1 said:
Welcome to the site. Looks like you had a nice easy dig. Who is building your pool?

We started out going with Patio Pools based on their reputation and how long they have been in the business. The problem we had with them is, the sales person we were dealing with wanted to build 'his' pool, and wasn't to interested in building 'our' pool. After asking him how much a grotto water feature would cost, his off the cuff answer was '15k', we knew we were done with Patio.

Presidential Pools is the builder we ended up going with, and so far so good. It is amazing how far a little customer service goes these days.

I had the same issue with Patio Pools salesman 6 years ago when I built my pool. It sounds like the same salesman. They just wanted to offer plan A or B, and didn't want to hear what we were looking for. We went to another pool builder who worked with us to design exactly what we asked for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Melt, the pictures may be deceptive. The pool will be 493 square foot with a 97 foot perimeter. Do you still think I need more than one skimmer?

The plumbers still have not shown up to fix the leaks.... The rebar guy came yesterday and it looks like he finished, though I don't see any rebar to form the top and bottom step. The electricians showed up yesterday also, and ended up doing more plumbing than wiring. Poor guys managed to cut two of my water lines, the main line into the house and a line going to an outside tap. Blue Stake doesn't really work when you are on a private well. I have water and irrigation lines going everywhere. The local cable company also didn't bother to mark their direct bury line as part of the Blue Stake.

IMG_3219.jpg

Hodgepodge below the main breaker panel

IMG_3226.jpg

One severed and replaced water lines

IMG_3251.jpg

cramar said:
I love that giant cactus off to the side...it's so foreign from the 8 inches of snow sitting on my pool right now.
You concerned about critters strolling into your new pool area?

Yes... We half expected to see her, or her two cubs' footprints after it was dug out. We see them around fairly regularly going after the rabbits and pack rats (then ones I really expect to be plugging up my skimmer) in our yard. We have also seen some very healthy coyotes, some javelina, rattle and gopher snakes, and some large hawks.

IMG_2673.jpg

Re: the skimmers.

My pool is 16x36 plus a 7x7 tanning ledge, so it's really only a bit more than yours in area. I have two skimmers and it works really well to have one at each end. Picks up all the debris regardless of which way the wind blows.

The plumbers fixed the leaks and the system is still holding 31 PSI, electricians finished their work, and the inspection passed. Today they showed up at 7am to do the shotcrete. I would have loved to stay at home to watch that process. Next, they will create some fake boulders and the water feature I believe.

IMG_3264.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.