vs-3050 Pump running dry.

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
So I pulled a dumb move yesterday. I wanted to soak my cartridge elements overnight to clean them. My pump starts at 9:45 am and stops at 4:00pm. Friday night I disassembled everything and pressed the "service" button on the easy touch thinking this would stop any thing from turning on, even though I was getting up early so it would be reassembled by 9:45 when the pump turns on. As I'm walking down to the equip pas at 8:15am I hear a humming. What!! Evidently the freeze protection turned on as the low temp was 33 deg so the pump had been running dry for ??? hrs. I flipped the breaker for the pump which I should have done in the first place. After crying a little I put it all back together and crossed my fingers....all seems to work fine but I wonder if I hurt something?

As a secondary question is the freeze protection level able to be adjusted on the easy touch?

It is possible to damage the shaft seal that way but if it is not leaking yet then you may have only shorten the life of the seal. There was probably at least some water in the pump which would have helped some. Just keep an eye on it and if it starts to leak, then you will need to replace the seal.

As for the easy touch, they explain the adjustments you can make in the manual. http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-pro/pro ... .php?id=49

I haven't used freeze protection in over 5 years. Our weather, which I think is similar to your weather, doesn't really get cold enough long enough for any freeze damage occur. We down to 24 degrees F but never for more than 8 hours which really isn't enough time the water in the pipes to freeze solid. Both experimentation as well as heat transfer theory has given me the confidence to turn it off but you need to make your own decision regarding your situation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.