Tme to Change to salt..

For the price difference I'd go with the CPSC48. Poolnpatio.net has it for $734 with FREE SHIPPING. It's overall a better value than the CPSC36 or CPSC24.

Cells are rated to put out a certain amount of chlorine per day 24 hours at 100%. Most people don't run their pumps for 24 hours. This site recommends at least 1 turnover per day and epending on your flow rate and such it could be 8 or less hours.
CPSC 48 is rated for 2.5 lbs of Chlorine gas per day. (I found a chart/read that states approx 1 lb of chlorine gas day = Gal of 12% liquid chlorine approximately) Here's the link: http://www.wwdmag.com/chlorinechloramin ... ne-best-me

To equal the chlorine available from one 150-lb. chlorine cylinder, you would need to use
180 gallons of sodium hypochlorite or
228 pounds of calcium hypochlorite.

That is based on 24 hours operation at 100% output = 2.5 lbs/24 hours = Approx .1 lb of chlorine an hour.
I've never needed to run at 100% in the summer I think I've run at 70-80% for 8-10 hours. Which theoretically give you a longer life. Only time will tell.

The manual states the cells have a life of 12500 hours under normal conditions. (Not sure what normal conditions are.)

I have a CPSC48 on a 17K pool. No problems.

MODEL Production rate lbs/day Price (2/12) Rate/Price Lower better!
CPSC 48 / 2.5 / $735.00 / 294.00
CPSC 36 / 1.9 / $625.00 / 328.95
CPSC 24 / 1.3 / $541.00/ 416.15
IC20 / 0.7 / $750.00/ 1071.43
IC40 / 1.4 / $850.00 / 607.14
IC60 / 2.0 / $1,100.00 / 550.00

bobodaclown said:
For the price difference I'd go with the CPSC48. Poolnpatio.net has it for $734 with FREE SHIPPING. It's overall a better value than the CPSC36 or CPSC24.

Cells are rated to put out a certain amount of chlorine per day 24 hours at 100%. Most people don't run their pumps for 24 hours. This site recommends at least 1 turnover per day and epending on your flow rate and such it could be 8 or less hours.
CPSC 48 is rated for 2.5 lbs of Chlorine gas per day. (I found a chart/read that states approx 1 lb of chlorine gas day = Gal of 12% liquid chlorine approximately) Here's the link: http://www.wwdmag.com/chlorinechloramin ... ne-best-me

To equal the chlorine available from one 150-lb. chlorine cylinder, you would need to use
180 gallons of sodium hypochlorite or
228 pounds of calcium hypochlorite.

That is based on 24 hours operation at 100% output = 2.5 lbs/24 hours = Approx .1 lb of chlorine an hour.
I've never needed to run at 100% in the summer I think I've run at 70-80% for 8-10 hours. Which theoretically give you a longer life. Only time will tell.

The manual states the cells have a life of 12500 hours under normal conditions. (Not sure what normal conditions are.)

I have a CPSC48 on a 17K pool. No problems.

MODEL Production rate lbs/day Price (2/12) Rate/Price Lower better!
CPSC 48 / 2.5 / $735.00 / 294.00
CPSC 36 / 1.9 / $625.00 / 328.95
CPSC 24 / 1.3 / $541.00/ 416.15
IC20 / 0.7 / $750.00/ 1071.43
IC40 / 1.4 / $850.00 / 607.14
IC60 / 2.0 / $1,100.00 / 550.00

First, http://nsf.org/certified/pools/Listings ... it1=SEARCH, shows the test results from NSF on salt chlorine generator systems that are commercially approved. It shows everyones tested outputs, which is obviously different from their Marketing Claims. Just not sure how you can stretch 1.28 lbs/day tested output to a 2.5 lbs/day claim....which basically negates the rest of the information and calculations on this website. :hammer:

Second, if 1 lb of gas chlorine is equivalent to 1 gallon of 12% sodium hypo (which I agree with), how is 150 lbs cylinder = 180 gallons of sodium hypo?

jck - the best unit will depend on how much you want to spend, what features you're looking for, and warranty/manufacturers support. There are many different systems represented here. All of which will have it's proponents, and their share of issues too. I will tell you that going to salt should make it much more convenient in maintaining your pool!

Hello,
1. There has been some discussion that the NSF website is incorrect and it's being updated.
2. Due to rounding, I've seen/read that 1lb of of chlorine gas is approximately equivalent to 1 gal of 12% sodium hypo, the link provided gives a more accurate number of 150lbs gas/180 Gallons sodium hypo @ 12.5%.

Spoke with Tim at Compupool (Phone toll free: (888)-989-7258) they are awaiting NSF.ORG to update the website.

In terms of available chlorine content, one pound of chlorine gas is equivalent to 15.3 cups (0.95 gallons) of 12.5% chlorinating liquid, 17.5 ounces weight of Trichlor (2.2 8-ounce tabs), 28.9 ounces weight of Dichlor, 24.8 ounces weight of 65% Cal-Hypo. The 150 pounds of chlorine to 180 gallons of 12.5% sodium hypochorite is incorrect. When one quotes % for chlorinating liquid, this is a Trade % which is the volume % of available chlorine. 12.5% Trade (volume % available chlorine) is 10.8% weight % available chlorine and is 11.3% weight % sodium hypochlorite and has a density of 1.16 g/ml. So I don't see any way they could be getting their number even if they incorrectly used a different unit of measurement since the other units would result in even less sodium hypochlorite required.

HI,

I too was looking at CompuPool and almost bought it last week until I found a better deal on CircuPool.
The online store I bought from had a great deal on them. Special price and free upgrade to the next larger model .
So I ended up paying $749 for a RJ45 that I just installed yesterday which comes up to $150 off from the special price of $899.
It is rated at 2lbs per day output with a 7 year warranty.
The special is until 2/22.
I had no problem with the installation. Unit started right away but it's too soon to comment on performance. It tested my salt at 3000ppm and is working fine (zodiac was telling me low salt)
According to the sales guy at the shop (they sell many models including CompuPool) CircuPool is the higher end unit made by the same company than Compupool.
The warranty seems better but what I really liked is the builtin salt test which Compupool does not have.
Shipping was prompt.
I can give you the shop name if you PM me.

Now a bit of ranting.
Most other companies are in my opinion outrageously expensive but I can't really comment on other units except on Zodiac DuoClear which IMO is a piece of Crud. That is what I have replaced with the RJ45.
After barely 18months with the DuoClear i went through 3 boards and now the unit won't turn off so I am guessing another board. The casing started leaking on both sides (cell side and filter side) last week. When I tried to investigate I realized that the casing had been deformed which makes it impossible to remove the cell. I have no water heater and the unit was installed in a shaded and ventilated shelter.
Dealing with support was like pulling teeth. They did change the boards but made me wait more than one month after telling me they would send replacements within a few days and last time they told me they were no longer offering me support. They claimed it was lightning strike which is not covered, but the unit was protected with a good surge protector, the whole house is protected by a lightning arrestor in the main box and other electronics were not affected which makes their claim doubtfull.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PanamEric: Thanks again for the point in the right direction. I ended up purchasing the RJ45 as well.

Does anyone have their SWG protected by a surge suppressor?

NCPool,

You are quite welcome.
On the surge protector...I live in the rainforest so we get lots of thunderstorms and power fluctuations and shortages.
I guess the need for surge protection depends on the reliability of your electrical provider and its network.
In any case I would think that any valuable piece of electronics should have protection.

The whole house units seem to be the best value all around. Mine cost me about $50 each for the surge protector and lightning arrestor. So about $100 for peace of mind which is a good deal considering the price of a good surge unit.
I think they are great but these are the kind of things that you will know they don't work if your tvs get fried but if nothing gets damaged you just dont know. I am assuming mine are working because my neighbors all had surge or lightning damage and I did not...(the Duoclear IMO was not a surge. It would not make sense that only that blows when I have a house full of electronics).
These units plug on the largest breaker in the main panel and are designed to absorb or channel away the surge or lightning (static)charge, so they will protect anything connected to that main box. They also have a telephone or data line protector that is also whole house and plugs in the phone box.
http://www.deltasurgeprotectors.com/products.cfm
Hope its ok to post a link...

I wish these were just a little cheaper. Right now the RJ45 is a good deal (with the free upgrade) at $749. BUT I think the ROI is still very questionable. The 7-year warranty is certainly better than any other competitor but I priced it out and the salt generator needs to last 5 years before a true return on investment. That's risky!

After taking to a neighbor, he concluded that it wasn't worth it at all. In general, he figured that the unit was $750 + ~$50 a season in chemicals versus ~$200 a season in chemicals. Looking at a 5 year period, that equates to exactly the same! The only benefit that salt offers assuming it lasts 5 years would really be convenience.

giantsnation said:
After taking to a neighbor, he concluded that it wasn't worth it at all. In general, he figured that the unit was $750 + ~$50 a season in chemicals versus ~$200 a season in chemicals. Looking at a 5 year period, that equates to exactly the same! The only benefit that salt offers assuming it lasts 5 years would really be convenience.

I've read that more or less the cost is very similar between manually chlorinating and a swg. The main difference is not having to transport and add cl. So far I'm happy with mine, even though it was replaced at approx 4 months, under warranty, due to faulty salt detection. Even if the overall cost is slightly higher with the swg, its worth the convenience. If it dies right after the 3 yr warranty I might alter my opinion.

First, I want to clarify a statement above. The CompuPool DOES have a salt test built in. In fact, it runs every time it's powered on, and occasionally again throughout the cycle. Very easy to bring up the results of the test. It also has a built in water thermometer.

I'm with Bobby. Even with a Liquidator, having to purchase and haul all that chlorine to keep a big pool in Texas sanitary was a real pain.

Giantsnation, I guess I look at it differently. I made a $750 investment so I don't have to think about it for years. That was my ROI right there. :)

RobbieH said:
Giantsnation, I guess I look at it differently. I made a $750 investment so I don't have to think about it for years. That was my ROI right there. :)

Very good point and I guess my view is going to be much different because our Northeast season is so much shorter (do you even winterize in Texas)?

For 4 months a season, I think a Liquidator at ~$160 is a good investment for me. Luckily, where all my equipment is outside and near a fence gate. This means I can back my Jeep up to the gate and unload. Minimum "lugging"!

Thoughts on any other Liquidator issues? Higher PH levels?

As I continue to dig and do some more research, I think the LQ is the best option for me. I know there were some issues with White Stuff (calcium) gunking up but this seemed to affect mainly gunite pools. I have a liner and the pool is only open for 4 months. So a lot of these issues, don't occur in the Northeast. By the time something is starting to cause a problem, I'm ready to winterize the pool thus cleaning and prepping everything for the following season.

At $160, I don't see how I can go wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.