Removing a pump motor - doesn't want to budge

Feb 3, 2012
Johannesburg, SA
Hi,

I've got an old pool pump that I'm trying to open up. The motor is connected to what looks like a mounting bracket with 4 bolts. The bracket is in turn mounted to the pump housing with another 6 bolts. I've undone all the bolts, and everything is loose (it moves around) but it still won't come away from the housing.

Is there anything else I need to unscrew or disconnect, or is it just old and requires bashing with a hammer?

Thanks.

Just to be sure. The pump housing will come apart and then you'll have to unscrew the impeller to get the motor off the mounting plate. Sometimes it does require a few gentle (or not so gentle) taps to get it apart.

PoolPump.jpg

Red Circle x 4 bolts for the motor

Yellow circle x 6 bolts for the bracket.

Which of these should I hit with a hammer then? :hammer:

Bama: The pump housing is the orange plastic part in my photo here correct? It doesn't seem to come apart - no screws that I can see, unless they're underneath. I'll have a look.

fogeshan said:
PoolPump.jpg

Red Circle x 4 bolts for the motor

Yellow circle x 6 bolts for the bracket.

Which of these should I hit with a hammer then? :hammer:

Bama: The pump housing is the orange plastic part in my photo here correct? It doesn't seem to come apart - no screws that I can see, unless they're underneath. I'll have a look.
Leave the motor - the 4 red circle bolts - attached.
Make sure the six yellow bolts are removed completely.
Then wiggle all the grey stuff away from the orange housing. There are probably two gaskets. One between orange and grey, and another inside you can't see, that may be stuck. Grab the motor and try moving it right/left and up/down. All you're looking for is a few thousandths of an inch each time you change direction. Then all the sudden, you should get a big gap, and then it will just pull apart. If you must use force, use a rubber mallet on the motor housing, do not hit the orange piece. I would also caution against prying it apart, you may crack the orange piece or knick a sealing surface, and then you get to start cutting pipe and replacing the whole works!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.