UPDATED Build IN PROGRESS!

pistol18

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 21, 2012
NJ
Please scroll down for the pics and update, thanks to TFP for helping us make informed decisions along the way!

Hello TFP, below is what we're considering after interviewing 5-6 PBs, we have narrowed it down to 2 final contenders.
We welcome your feedback and any suggestions you might have, thanks in advance for the help!

True L shape, cement wall, vinyl liner pool
20x40x28
928 sq ft
Hayward super pump 1.5hp
Hayward Pro Series Sand filter
1.5" rigid pvc lines
Polaris 360 robot
Hayward 500w astrolite
AquaComfort SWG
Safetymesh cover

The other builder does all Jandy equipment, 2hp and 2" lines. Also, suggests cartridge or DE filter and said the sand filters are garbage. I"m curious to get some feedback on those items and what would be a good fit for our yard. Thanks

Re: New Build New Jersey!

Are both PBs using concrete walls?

Inch and a half plumbing is inadequate.

A two HP pump is too big.

A couple LED fixtures really would be so much nicer.

With a lit pool, I do prefer DE's clarity.

If your builders are in Monmouth, I have a pretty good idea who they might be.

Scott

Thanks Scott.

Are both PBs using concrete walls? Yes

Inch and a half plumbing is inadequate. So ask for all 2", even if the pump has 1.5 inlets?

A two HP pump is too big. So 1.5hp is good?

A couple LED fixtures really would be so much nicer. Even if we're leaning toward a Medium Blue liner?

Return inlets at 1.5" are fine as long as they are tied to a larger feeder loop or partial loop.

The suction outlets should be 2"/

A two speed is ok but I prefer a variable speed pump

The liner color/pattern won't matter. The light is going to show whatever color it is shining.

Scott

So if 1 of the PB we are considering uses flexible in some places and rigid in others, I should just request all rigid right?

Also, they use all 1.5" pipe with a 1 1/2 hp Hayward pump while the other PB uses all 2" pipe and 2hp Jandy pump.
What kind of price difference would that equate to in their quotes?

The pipe cost from 1 /1/2 to 2 is minor. I would of went with a variable speed pump if they had them when my pool was built. I have 2 1/2" pipe, the problem with that is box stores don't carry 2 /12" pipe fittings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

A 2 HP single speed is too big. Make it a 2 speed and you're golden.

Done properly, the 2.5" shouldn't need touching. The use of unions and enough space should prevent anything short of a lawn mower accident from needing to. The 2.5" stuff is normally, on residential pools, only on the above ground suction feeding the pump or suction lines from a spa. Any pool that has a larger need should be using commercial gear, IMHO.

Scott

The lines from the skimmer and drains will likely be 2". The 2.5" could be used where these lines combine but the short distance involved wouldn't get you much of a reduction in head loss like a 1.5" set for feeds into a 2" line would get and you aren't looking at adding a spa to your config AFAIK.

Scott

Well a small update, I think we have decided on a builder and may sign this weekend.
We're leaning toward the pb that uses all 2" rigid pipe, all jandy equip, 2hp pump, cartridge filter and aqua comfort swg.

When asked about a variable or 2 speed pump to save energy, they said it would take 9-10 years to recoup the $1600-1800 cost of the pump since we have a relatively short season here in NJ, what does the group think about that?

Any other ideas/thoughts are welcome and thanks to everyone so far for the help, this is a great forum and has taught me a ton already.

I need to join up and help support this place when I get back home. :cheers:

When asked about a variable or 2 speed pump to save energy, they said it would take 9-10 years to recoup the $1600-1800 cost of the pump since we have a relatively short season here in NJ, what does the group think about that?
I'd say that builder is pretty astute. However, that applies to a VS pump but not to a 2-speed. A 2 speed is not that much more and can result in some VERY significant payback.....pretty quickly.

If you like his other ideas, pricing, etc. (it all makes sense to me) I would ask him to price the difference for you of a 1-speed 2HP vs a 2-speed, 2hp (or even a 1.5HP 2 speed would work.)

A constant speed 2HP on that size pool won't hurt much but it will get into your wallet in electricity costs unnecessarily.

Post pics of your build when you get started!

Thanks Dave. I will ask about the 2 speed and what the price difference is.
Looking around the web, the 2 speed would use about $30 less electricity per month and the purchase price is about $110 more than the single speed. Sound about right?

Also, I will post pics hopefully starting late April/early May! Then I'll have to order a test kit too.

Well here goes, we have a big hole in our backyard....

We went with the PB with all 2" rigid pipe, all Jandy equipment, SWG, etc, so far so good. They've been at it almost 1 week and here's what we've had done so far

Dig
forms/concrete pour
forms removed
plumbing
liner measured/ordered

Next up- electric, then backfill, then...

A few pics for your enjoyment, any feedback is appreciated, if anyone sees something of concern, please shout it out!
:cheers:

100_4854.jpg

My son VERY HAPPY about a digger and dump truck in HIS backyard!
100_4859.jpg

100_4861.jpg

Forms
100_4868.jpg

100_4879.jpg

100_4881.jpg

100_4882.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.