Hayward Pool Vac Ultra Problem!!!??

Dec 2, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
My Hayward Vac seems to be sucking in air. I have a dedicated vac line and a jandy valve that can be set to skimmer, vac or somewhere in between. When the pool vac is plugged into the dedicated vac line and the valve is set to all vac/skimmer off the pump basket fills up with about half air and pressure drops from 10 psi to 5 psi. When I turn the valve to vac off/all skimmer the basket fills back up with water and the psi goes back up from 5 to 10. I wanted to make sure it wasn't the vac line itself so I hooked the vac up to the skimmer and had the same problem. Does this mean my Vac has gone bad? Is there a part that needs replacing?

Check your hoses - you probanly have a leak in one of them or in the connections between the sections. Take the hose and make sure it's completely submerged and see if the problem still happens. Then start allowing sections to float to the surface and watch for when it happens and also see if you don't hear a small air or gurgling sound.

I think I figured out my problem. I had too much suction going to the vac. I used my flow gauge that came with the vac to adjust the pressure so it is right in the middle of the min/max window. I just don't understand why the pump basket filled with air???

I just had my pool resurfaced. They capped and filled the infloor cleaing system and installed a dedicated vac line. The pump is a brand new whisperflo. I tried putting lube on the o-ring and tightening the pump basket lid but that did not solve it. I only notice it when I turn the jandy valve (which is also brand new) all the way to the vac line. When I turn the valve to all the way skimmer, there is no air. I'm stumped. There is no air in the pump basket and my vac seems to be working perfectly now that I used the suction guage to "tune in" the amount of suction going through the dedicated vac line.

The cleaner isn't going to allow enough water through it to keep the pump going all by itself. Use the suction gauge like you talked about. if you set that to the correct suction and the cleaner still doesn't work, then start looking at the cleaning head itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.