Too Late for SWG??

zman

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 3, 2008
Frisco, TX
I posted in the new pool construction area but it may be more appropriate here...

OK, we are about 3 weeks from plaster. I am now second guessing my decision to go with standard chlorine vs. SWG. Is there anything at this point that would make a change cost prohibitive? All plumbing is done and equipment has been installed. Is it just a matter of buying the SWG (Jandy AquaPure 700) and installing it?

Haven't decided for sure whether to make the change but I'm leaning that way if the only cost is the SWG and minor installation.

FYI - the reason we decided not to do the SWG was the possible damage to stone coping (flagstone) and decking (stamped concrete). Are these valid concerns????

Thanks!

The concrete should be totally fine. The flagstone is less clear, it should be fine but a few people report problems. Results seem to depend on the properties of the specific stone you get (natural stone varies from batch to batch) and how often you rinse it off. Personally I would go for the SWG, the odds are good that everything will be fine. But there is some chance of problems.

Installing a SWG is usually quite easy. You need a section of horizontal pipe on the return to the pool where the SWG can be put in. If there isn't enough room it is usually simple enough to run the pipe off to the side and back to get the length of pipe needed.

I researched wether or not to get a SWG and I ended up not getting one. My thinking was that I can always add one later and used that $1200 (budget) to add things to the pool that can not be added as easily later.

As JasonLion replied, all you need is about 1.5 ft of straight pipe. I would look at the SWG you would like to add and check the installation manual for the exact length and position of pipe.

I've had my pool for 10 months and I have changed my mind completely of adding a SWG (due to operating and upfront cost). I added Solar heating, solar cover and reel, Liquidator since then and I am happy that I did not spend the money for a SWG. I am still open to having one but the price of CL really has to go up for me to consider installing a SWG. (also if the price comes down, which I am hoping they follow how electronics fall in price after everyone has one)

JCJR said:
I researched wether or not to get a SWG and I ended up not getting one. My thinking was that I can always add one later and used that $1200 (budget) to add things to the pool that can not be added as easily later.

As JasonLion replied, all you need is about 1.5 ft of straight pipe. I would look at the SWG you would like to add and check the installation manual for the exact length and position of pipe.

I've had my pool for 10 months and I have changed my mind completely of adding a SWG (due to operating and upfront cost). I added Solar heating, solar cover and reel, Liquidator since then and I am happy that I did not spend the money for a SWG. I am still open to having one but the price of CL really has to go up for me to consider installing a SWG. (also if the price comes down, which I am hoping they follow how electronics fall in price after everyone has one)

the price of them will only go up, because the main cost is ruthenium which is part of the cell coating
now in a last year, or year and a half the cost of ruthenium went from about $80/ounce to $450/ounce with a spike up to 600 at some point. Don't know what it is now, but it's not likely to go down significantly.

Does Ruthenium by any chance come from the same mines as the platinum in S. Africa? Platinum has spiked the same way recently. It was explained to me that it's because they are having trouble supplying electricity to the mines in S. Africa.

Yes, it's byproduct of platinum mining. South Africa is not the only place where it's mined so i doubt it's electricity, it's more of demand/supply question.

Generally the increase in price is thought to be due to increase of it's use in other areas, like HDD's, fuel cells etc...

Attachments

• Graphical.Chlorine.Dosing.Calculator.v2.1.xls
    45.5 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.