Winter Leak in NY (I/G, Outdoor pool)

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Living here in NY, one would hope when you winterize your pool, you don't have to tend to it until the spring. I guess it is good thing we do tend to the pool a little by siphoning the water out when it is above the skimmer plates and we do throw the robot in once in a while to clean it.

DH went to siphon the pool last w/e since the last time it was done was the middle of December. To his surprise, the water was already below the skimmer plate. UGH! He marked the water line and sure enough, the next day we had lost 1/4-1/2" of water in 24 hours. We had a diver come on Monday. The water was extremely frigid so he did the best he could with his dry suit on. He was unable to detect the leak though. We have a "tye-dye" liner which the diver told us makes his job finding the leak a nightmare. I am adding water to the pool as I type, only to lose it again in a few days. Our well pump is going to get too much use doing this and we chance it burning out too.

DH's boss said to cut up pieces of the yellow plastic grocery bags and throw them in the pool. They should gravitate towards the leak and possibly plug it temporarily.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to find this leak?

Thank you so much!

Do you have any kind of cover, if so what is it. I have several customers here in Missouri that have had deer run across auto covers and put small holes then cover pump remove that water. Just a thought

Ok that eliminates the cover from being a possible "leak". I personally never thought about cutting up a trash bag to try to locate a leak. Not sure if it would work or not, interesting theory anyway. If you try it please post if it works or doesn't have a customer whose vinyl lined pool is leaking so may try it there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.