How should heat pump show up in intellitouch mgmt w/ solar?

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
When solar and heat pump are connected via serial cables to com ports on intellitouch controller, the two entries "solar" and "heatpumpcom" show up in intellitouch.
Configuring solar works properly - just enable solar, have all other solar values off, and set the temp thresholds.
Go into heatpump com menu, enable it...suddenly solar is disabled, and the "solar is heat pump" button is enabled.
Disabling heatpump com and solar can be re-enabled.
Enabling heat pump heating only doesn't seem to work -- heat pump only runs when manually activated.
I'm guessing the heat pump is supposed to show up as a seperate heater option and not heatpumpcom?

Pool builder doesn't know answer...and the local pentair guy didn't know either...we're bumping up question...either we're missing some simple setting or something else mgmt wise isn't setup right. Cables seem to have been installed as described in manual.

Re: How should heat pump show up in intellitouch mgmt w/ sol

I would suggest a call to pentair tech support. I had similar question wit my heat pump and gas heater and they were very friendly and walked me through connecting and programming it.

Good idea.....waiting on pool builder to figure it out takes forever :)
Just spoke to pentair tech on the phone:
Solar is always considered a heat pump even if not setup as one. When using com port cable, an ultratemp heat pump also shows up as a heat pump (no option to present as gas heater). Intellitouch will only allow one heat pump to be configured at a time and the solar takes precedence.
Solution -- get rid of the com port cable, hook up to the remote relay spade connectors and terminate at intellitouch on the gas heater connectors.
Not exactly the most user friendly and a little clunky, but should work --- called the pool builder and told him what we need done, he is going to try to come out today.

MattM said:
Good idea.....waiting on pool builder to figure it out takes forever :)
Just spoke to pentair tech on the phone:
Solar is always considered a heat pump even if not setup as one. When using com port cable, an ultratemp heat pump also shows up as a heat pump (no option to present as gas heater). Intellitouch will only allow one heat pump to be configured at a time and the solar takes precedence.
Solution -- get rid of the com port cable, hook up to the remote relay spade connectors and terminate at intellitouch on the gas heater connectors.
Not exactly the most user friendly and a little clunky, but should work --- called the pool builder and told him what we need done, he is going to try to come out today.

It's not that clunky. This is how we had to run all heatpumps until pentair released them.

Sad thing is you cant run them together.
Unfortunately the only company that has that down is Goldline (and hayward bought them)

What I do (also have Intellitouch) is have my heatpump control wire on one of my open contacts (aux ?) and just schedule it to run when I want it.
Just set the temp on the heatpump to your desired temp and when it gets there it will shut off. Works well as the heatpump is usually running 24/7 when I am heating anyway.

Just got screenlogic2 which has the ability to separate out periods of the daily pump runtime into heating and non heating. It seems to switch intellitouch heat settings fine, and to activate/deactivate the heat pump (tricking it into seeing different temps?) but it doesn't seem to actually ever shutoff the heat pump which means when the pump goes off - we get a low water flow alarm on the unit? Is this what should be happening?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.