Algae or Dirt??

Jan 31, 2012
Hi, Just registered but have been veiwing for a long time. Very helpfull forum.

I have a 65,000 litre fiberglass pool with SWG and sand filter, the water is always crystal clear and all levels are ok but has been requiring higher chlorine levels but then again it is extremely hot in australia at the moment.

I have always had a problem with what i assumed was fine dirt gathering on the bottom of the pool, but the kreepy krauly has kept it clean mostly.
I have just bought a Zodiac MX8 and noticed it is not picking up this 'dirt' and the 'dirt' seems to be only accumulating on the rough sections of fiberglass and not the smooth sections where it is joined.

I am thinking this could some form of algae? when i brush it, it seems to dissipate. Or could this be a problem with debris from the filter returing to the pool?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ash.

Should i shock it now and perform an overnight FC loss?
I wouldn't just yet. Why not try to determine what it is first? My assumption is the water is warm enough to get in. "pinch" some of the stuff that's settled between your thumb and forefinger. Algae, alive or dead, should be slippery and dirt should feel gritty.

If that's inconclusive, then I suggest an OCLT. Do you have the correct FAS/DPD test to perform it? If you are not clear on how to do it, reread or ask for help.

Then, if the OCLT indicates an excessive FC loss, it's time to shock your pool.

(I doubt this is related to your cleaner, but it is slightly possible)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.