Install questions

May 25, 2010
Fairfax Station, VA
1. My pool pump is located higher than the pool and it sometimes takes a little while to prime even with check valves. If I install generator connected to same timer will I have a problem?
2. I have a spa on the pool. The best place to install the generator is after the heater and in the common return. If only the spa is circulating on will the chlorine level get too high too quickly?

I assume you have the spa connected to overflow to the pool? and when you want to use the spa you cut this overflow off. The swg's produces only a very small amount of chlorine so can take days to get chlorine level up high in a pool. if you are only using the spa for an hour or so I don't think there would be a problem with too much chlorine in the spa.

The flow sensor for my SWG is located on the pool returns so that when the system is in spa mode the SWG does not generator chlorine. Of course, in pool mode there is circulation to the spa so the spa gets plenty of chlorine.

mrhappye said:
1. My pool pump is located higher than the pool and it sometimes takes a little while to prime even with check valves. If I install generator connected to same timer will I have a problem?
2. I have a spa on the pool. The best place to install the generator is after the heater and in the common return. If only the spa is circulating on will the chlorine level get too high too quickly?
Are you saying the pump loses prime every day? Something's not right. My pump is above the water level, so is the filter. The top of my filter is a good four feet above the pool surface, yet whenever I check if there's any air in there by opening the bleeder, water shoots out instantly.

You have an air leak somewhere. Fix that and you won't need to worry about the SWG - you'll have flow the instant the pump turns on.

I agree with Richard. Once you have prime, you should not lose prime, unless there is a problem.
Also, your swg "can" make as little or as much chlorine as you set it to. I don't agree that it makes only a small amount of chlorine. If you have it set to chlorinate the pool and spa, when you isolate the spa, unless someone reduces the output setting, or has a program to reduce the output when in spa mode, you can very much overchlorinate the spa. Having the flow switch in the pool return line is a good way to control the swg from overchlorinating the spa.

Sounds like if the flow sensor is on the pool return only, that would solve the problem with the spa. What models have this?

My pool often loses prime overnight once the pump is off ever since I owned the house. I had the check valves installed on the lines which helps but does not prevent it completely. I don't know where there could be an air leak. How would I locate it if there is one?

mrhappye said:
Sounds like if the flow sensor is on the pool return only, that would solve the problem with the spa. What models have this?

My pool often loses prime overnight once the pump is off ever since I owned the house. I had the check valves installed on the lines which helps but does not prevent it completely. I don't know where there could be an air leak. How would I locate it if there is one?
First thing to look for is any water leaking. If water gets out, air can get in. Then start checking anywhere two pieces meet. The filter tank seal. The air bleed. Pressure gauge threads. Strainer basket lid. The drain plugs on the bottom of the pump. Valves. Check that things are tight, grease up any O-rings.

Then start trying to isolate sections with the valves if you can.

Thanks. I'll try that when I open my pool in the spring.

Not all SWGs have a separate sensor section that can be installed on the pool return line. Autopilot does and has a unit with a fairly high salt output which I need for my size pool
but is on the expensive side.

Do you have a spill over? I would think you'd want a higher chlorine amount in the hot tub. It will spill over into the pool. Is it closed loop where it only draws from the hot tub? Compupool will cut out if there is no flow, but once the flow is there it will produce.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bobodaclown said:
Do you have a spill over? I would think you'd want a higher chlorine amount in the hot tub. It will spill over into the pool. Is it closed loop where it only draws from the hot tub? Compupool will cut out if there is no flow, but once the flow is there it will produce.

Yes, there is a spillover but when the spa is running and being heated, all the water
flows in and out of the spa in a closed loop . It will over chlorinate then if the flow sensor is not on the main pool return.

Bummer. I'm thinking you'd have to mount the CPSC on the pool return plumbing. It would power up with the pump being on, but with no flow wouldn't produce. It would give a fault, no flow, but would produce when the flow was there.

Unless you are practically living in your spa, I can't imagine that you need to worry about not chlorinating your spa in spa mode. I believe it would get plenty of chlorine while in pool mode with some of the water being returned to the spa.

My Aquarite came with the flow sensor that can be installed anywhere you choose. If you don't want to chlorinate your spa while in spa mode simply put the flow sensor on one of the pool returns below the valve that switches to spa mode.

bobodaclown said:
Bummer. I'm thinking you'd have to mount the CPSC on the pool return plumbing. It would power up with the pump being on, but with no flow wouldn't produce. It would give a fault, no flow, but would produce when the flow was there.

Unfortunately, there is no room to place it after the diverter valve on the pool return line. I can fit in a flow sensor.

HouTex said:
Unless you are practically living in your spa, I can't imagine that you need to worry about not chlorinating your spa in spa mode. I believe it would get plenty of chlorine while in pool mode with some of the water being returned to the spa.

My Aquarite came with the flow sensor that can be installed anywhere you choose. If you don't want to chlorinate your spa while in spa mode simply put the flow sensor on one of the pool returns below the valve that switches to spa mode.

I'm not worried about chlorinating the spa but overchlorinating in spa mode. Aquarite model is only 1.4 pounds maximum. Not really large enough for my size pool, 35000 gallons.

It also seems as though there is no reason not to put the SWG itself directly on the pool return line and avoid the spa return if you don't have a model with a sensor. the spa will get chlorine from the water as it cycles back through during normal operation. I would bet that the spa water turns over several times while the pool does its single turn over. Any reason that won't work? I have the same issue as the OP, though we don't realy use the spa.

Locksmythe said:
It also seems as though there is no reason not to put the SWG itself directly on the pool return line and avoid the spa return if you don't have a model with a sensor. the spa will get chlorine from the water as it cycles back through during normal operation. I would bet that the spa water turns over several times while the pool does its single turn over. Any reason that won't work? I have the same issue as the OP, though we don't realy use the spa.

Obviously, that would be ideal. However, the problem is that there is no place to plumb it into the pool return directly. The return line after the heater goes to the diversion valve and then the pool return goes straight down into the ground. There is no room to put it in the pool return.

I had the same problem, but I paid a plumber $100 to reroute the PVC return line below the heater and install the Aquarite within the newly routed return line. Of course, it looks less elegant than it did before, but it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.