Help with Quote

JTS

LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2010
I have been reading here on TFP for a few years and have learned a lot about pool care. My previous pool was above ground and BBB kept it super clean for me when I switched from Baquacil.

We now have a new house and are designing an inground pool. I drew a sketch of what we would like the pool to look like and gave it two two builders. I got my first quote today.

Please take a look at the pool design and quote and help me make sure I get a great pool.

[attachment=0:tte6mw3r]Pool 9 layout.jpg[/attachment:tte6mw3r]

Here is the quote:
COMPLETE PLAN, DESIGN, AND PERMIT
EXCAVATION AND PREGRADE OF WORKSITE
126’ PERIMETER WATERLINE, 3 1/2-9 / 765 SQ. FT. - 33200 GALLONS
½” STEEL ON 10” CENTERS / 5” BREAK BARS IN FLOOR / 4 BAR BOX BEAM
COMPLETE ELECTRICAL AND BONDING ON POOL SHELL, LIGHTS, AND DECK STEEL
GUNITE STRUCTURE W/NO REBOUND (12” BEAM, 8” WALL, 9” FLOOR)
SHALLOW END STEPS WITH 12” RISE AND RUN (OVERSIZE 2ND STEP )
1 LOVESEATS
TANNING LEDGE TO BE 1' DEEP WITH UMBRELLA SLEEVE
8 INLET RETURNS (2” RETURN LOOP WITH 1.5” WALL PENETRATION ONLY)
2 SURFACE SKIMMERS (2” SEPARATE LINE-NOT LOOPED TO MAIN DRAIN)
DUAL MAIN DRAINS (2.5” SEPARATE LINE-NOT LOOPED TO SKIMMER)
ALL LINES VALVED WITH 3-WAY LIFETIME JANDY VALVES
2” SUCTION LINE FOR LAMINAR BOOSTER PUMP
4-1” BALL VALVES FOR LAMINAR CONTROL
2” SUCTION LINE FOR FUTURE USE
126' OF FLAGSTONE COPING (OR EQUAL CHOICE BY OWNER)
126’ OF WATERLINE SWIMMING POOL TILE BY STONEVENTURES
4 – JANDY LED LAMINAR DECK JETS
2 LOW VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER FOR LAMINARS
ALL NATURAL STONE PRODUCTS TO BE SEALED WITH DRY-TREAT PENETRATING SEALER
TILE STEP SPOTTERS
1300 SQ. FT OF BROOMED FINISHED CONCRETE WITH SPRAY DECK OVERLAY
3” DECK O DRAIN AT PATIO
LEVEL I STONESCAPES INTERIOR POOL FINISH
2 – JANDY LED COLORED LIGHTS
6614 AP 1400 JANDY POWERCENTER
P-8 PDA WIRE POOL REMOTE CONTROLLER
580 SQ. FT. JANDY CARTRIDGE FILTER
2.5 HP JANDY 2 SPEED STEALTH POOL PUMP
1.5 HP JANDY WATERFALL PUMP FOR LAMINAR DECK JETS
POLARIS 280 POOL SWEEP WITH BOOSTER PUMP
AQUA PURE SALT SYSTEM
PENTAIR INLINE CHLORINE FEEDER SYSTEM
8' DIVING BOARD WITH SPRING KIT
10’ TELESCOPING POLE, 18” BRUSH, LEAF RAKE
TAYLOR TEST KIT
START UP CHEMICALS AND POOL SCHOOL

POOL PRICE:___$60591.25_____

NOT INCLUDED IN PRICE: SPRINKLER REROUTE, UTILITY REROUTES, LANDSCAPING, GAME SETS, GAS LINES

Attachments

• Pool 9 layout.jpg
    Pool 9 layout.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 345
If no one sees any issues with the pool design and equipement, could you please comment on where to place the skimmers and returns.

The pool drawing the wind will blow from right to left during the summer.

Any comments are welcome such as........you have a poor pool design, or everything looks good.

Make sure they tell you how much it will cost on overages, i.e. With my broom-finished concrete, I had 550 sq ft. included. We had over 700 sq ft (from what I remember) and they charged me $9/sq ft which is extremely high. Get those prices in your quote so there is no question when it is an overrun. Anything can result in a defined quantity, make sure they include the price for additional of the same especially if you want to expand after it's being constructed. 1300 sq ft looks like it's sufficient, but they can easily tell you what it cost if you went over.

The utility reroutes could be an expensive add on. Our contractor sub everything out and I knew we would have to rewire the garage power going into the build. He said he couldn't quote the job going into it as they didn't know what all it would take to replace the power. As it turned out, I worked with the electrician to get a quote and was I surprised. He wanted a $1000 to rerun the wiring and I just said thank you and that I would handle it myself. For $120 and 2 hours of running to the store, digging a small trench, and pulling new wire I had the power restored. Like XsAllOverIt suggested, try to get a set amount for the overages.

The one thing I wished I had added was lighting at the pool equipment.

With a pool that size, 4 lights might be ideal. Others can chime in on this suggestion.

OK, a few comments:
- looped returns have their cons. I would prefer to have them valved separately, so that if one line has a leak you can still use all the others.
- each skimmer should be on its own line; that may be the case but the quote isn't clear.
- I would reconsider the spray deck (kool-deck or similar?) unless you live somewhere very very hot. It isn't as durable as it needs to be, in my opinion.
- a 2.5 HP pump is way more than you need. For your size pool, a 1 or 1.5 hp would be plenty, and would save you electricity.
- I'd get a cleaner without a booster pump. The polaris 360 and The Pool Cleaner are pressure-side cleaners that can run off a normal pump, or you could get a robotic cleaner. Booster pumps cost a bit to run.
-
- more lights are always better, but two would probably be OK.

Ok, I am now a TFP Lifetime Supporter!

Just waiting on on the plaque to go under my user ID.

I asked the pool builder to include two bubblers in the tanning ledge on the back of the pool. He said the 1' depth may be too deep for the bubblers to push the water up much above the surface. Does anyone know if 1' is too deep or will it work oK?

The pool builder drew up the pool for us and is going to spray it on the grass this week.

Attachments

• JAY_SHERIFF_DIVER__PLAYPOOL2_002.jpg
    JAY_SHERIFF_DIVER__PLAYPOOL2_002.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 170
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.