Home buyer with questions. (Photos Added)

Mycool

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2012
Carrollton, Tx
Hello!

I have been house hunting for about 6+ months now and I found a home within my range w/ a pool(which I want a pool). The home is in Carrollton, Tx(NW Dallas County or SE Denton County).

Here's the scoop on the pool. The pool has been covered with wood, wire mesh and a tarp. When I stick my head under the tarp the pool is about 2 feet low and filled with some greenish water. I can see the bottom in the shallow end, err the thick green algea that is, so the water isn't super green. There are some spots along the sides where the plaster is a bit raised, not much though it looks like when you paint somthing and use to much paint and it dribbles. I believe that is normal wear and tear on the plaster of a pool(from what I have heard). I cannot see any major cracks in the sides and the concrete decking around the pool looks to be in good shape, some cracks on the edges(very minor), and none that I saw running towards the pool. Only one 4x4(guesstimate) tile is missing around the entire pool. It has been vacant for a while(waiting on realitor to email back with how long), with the drout around here lately it makes me feel that the structure is fine because the water level is still high with it being so dry.

I personally would feel a whole lot better if I had a professional look at it. Anyone live around there and have any recomendations on a company that could do all that needs to be done for a fair(you tell me) price?
Is there anything else I should try to look at myself before finding an inspector?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Mike

Edit: In ground gunite and I believe it was built in 1986 with the house.(going to verify)

Re: Home buyer with questions.

You should have an inspector go over the whole house and not just the pool prior to purchasing it. Most lenders would require this anyway.

Green water is no big deal. That can be fixed up easily. Really though, the only way to tell how things are is to uncover it, get water in it, and turn the pump on. The cracks that you see are probably superficial plaster issues. Rasied areas on the plaster are probably calcium deposits.

The home is going to have an inspection and a bug inspection. The inspector I use doesn't have a pool guy in the area, which brought me to the internet and I found this gem of a site.

Chances are it's fine structurally. As 257 said, you'll likely have to spend some money to get it looking pretty, but you'll almost certainly be able to completely rehab it.

When you have the power on for the inspection, you can at least fire up the pump and any other electrical stuff to see if it still works.

I have been through this a few times buying homes with stale pool. Unless you have a bit of experience with pool equipment, I would strongly advise getting a professional to check the system prior to just flipping the switch and see if it works.

dscn0678mo.jpg

dscn0673m.jpg

dscn0672c.jpg

dscn0671w.jpg

dscn0667w.jpg

dscn0666xp.jpg

dscn0664nh.jpg

dscn0663w.jpg

dscn0665e.jpg

dscn0663a.jpg

The raised areas are calcium? (there are alot of spots like that)
Those can be acid washed off for the most part right?
This is what I'm looking at.

I am not refering to the tile area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.