Filter review?

Oct 25, 2010
Temecula, CA
Hi all,

I currently have a non-working Pentair SWB 4000 48 sq ft filter that is not working and I need to replace it. I don't want to spend a ton of money since most of my cash is going into the remodel of my kitchen currently.

I found a Pentair 2000 48 sq ft filter on craigslist.. What is the difference in the numbers? Is this something that could work for me temporarily until I am in a better position to replace my equipment?

I was on here a few months ago when this happened and it was recommended I stay with the same size or go up... I am off to read reviews, just thought I'd stop by and ask you all.

Thanks
anne

The 4000 series has a fiberglass housing and the 2000 series has a stainless steel housing. I'd inspect the housing real well for rust and/or pitting before making a commitment on the metal one. The media area is the same but you'll have to replumb to make it fit.

If it's a good deal pricewise and the filter is in good shape, go for it. If the filter looks rough, steer clear. Those filters don't use the same grids as most DE filters do and if I remember correctly, Pentair isn't making those filters any more. You could end up shooting yourself in the foot in the long run. Personally, I'd stay away.

Is the crack in the bottom shell or is it in the backwash valve assembly? If the latter, you could probably replace it for not too much cash.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... m_smbw.htm

If it's in the bottom shell, it would make more sense to purchase a new filter.

We have an SMBW2000 series (60 sq ft) and it works quite well. The stainless steel holds up quite well and it is quite ruggedly built. Contrary to comments above, I've had no problem sourcing parts for it, including new filter grids. You can find them here for a reasonable price:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-677/P ... Detail.bok

There are 8 filter grids, so I would suggest going with the kit if you decide to purchase the used one off eBay.

You should also purchase a new o-ring for the unit. If it has the backwash option (e.g. the filter number would be SMBW2048 instead of SM2048), make sure the backwash lever moves properly. Seating the top of the filter can be kind of a pain, so I use gravity to help by filling the tank with water (after cleaning, etc) and then opening the backwash valve. I place the filter top onto the o-ring and the suction from the water flowing out helps to seat the top. Liberal application of silicone lube helps.

I'm surprised that I cannot find new DE filters made out of stainless steel. I would think these stainless filters would hold up much better over time, esp. since they would be impervious to UV damage whereas a fiberglass unit would have problems with this. In any event, if it were me, I'd take a close look at the eBay unit and if it's in reasonable shape, get it. Like was said, you will need to replumb it because the inlet and outlet are a different configuration than the 4000 units. But, this shouldn't be too difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.