New pool start up #'s

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Pool is 23000 gallons I have the Wetedge Luna quartz plaster?

Ph 7.5 (I have to put a lot of acid to keep it there)
Fc 2.5
Ta 70/80
Ch 300
Cya 35 ish

I have done the entire start up my self. The pb has been helping some. I'm bringing my chlorine up slowly whith a floater using the 3" pucks from Leslie's. Is that a good idea or should I be using bleach? Also we did a slight shock on day 5 due to the water it looked very bad i used 2.5 pounds of shock diluted in a 5 gallon bucket??? Water looks great now. What do you pros think?

I would try to keep the FC clsoer to 4 maybe in order to keep things at bay a little better. You are prone to getting some sudden warm days down there and so a higher FC will benefit you.

You will have to use lots of acid to keep the pH in check until your plaster cures so that is normal.

Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't hurt the plaster or anything else for that matter. I'm trying to get the FCC up to 4, it's coming up slowly. I'm using the TF-100 test kit. When I do the total chlorine test ( yellow) drops. Is that the same test for FC?

Steve,

The "yellow drops" test is called an OTO test and is used for daily checks that sort of give you a rough idea of your Total Chlorine level. The really accurate test is called the FAS/DPD test and involves the use of the R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops. It will separately measure both your FC and CC which yields the Total Chlorine. I am puzzled by your report of 2.5FC (which would indicate you are using the FAS/DPD test) which is too accurate for the OTO test.

Regardless, keep your FC coming on up and your good to go.

I don't understand your comment on plaster. If it's in reference to using powdered chlorine to shock, don't worry about it. Most powdered chlorine is Cal Hypo which will add Calcium to your pool and you already have plenty.

Have you been reading up in Pool School?

Thanks for the reply.

I have been reading pool school. Maybe I should read it a little closer :hammer: I will try to do fas/dpd test. I was doing the yellow drop test and calling it FC. My bad I'll get the real numbers and report. I also need to post some pics of the pool it's almost done just waiting on the fire features! Thanks for your patience. Steve

If you CYA is 35 as you said, then you might go ahead and take the floater out and go with bleach until your water is warm enough for your SWCG to produce.

Thanks, I'm going to take it out. It is at 30 to 35 I checked it again. I'm switching to bleach for now on! Should I just keep checking the water then add bleach as needed or do you guys just add bleach by a certain amount every week. Thanks again steve

In the winter, I usually only check chems once a week. After getting my numbers, I'll go to the Pool Calculator (link in my sig) and calculate how much I need to add to bring my levels back to target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.