Pump humming; not turning

May 3, 2010
Split from the pump-humming-not-turning topic. Bama

I am having the same problem, pump hums won't turn on. Questions: i have a northstar 2hp pump, how do I spin the impeller? Do I take the lid off of the basket area when the pump is on?

I cannot get the cover off of the motor to check the capacitor, how do I do this? I'm not sure how to get to the motor.

Thanks for any help.

Do not take the lid off the basket when the pump is on.

If there's not a 'bump' on the side of the motor then the capacitor is under the back cover. If you're not confident in testing the motor yourself I highly suggest you take the pump out and take it to a pool or motor shop and have them check it for you. We don't want you getting hurt.

There are usually a few screws on the back cover that hold it on. Be sure the power is off before removing the cover.

There is not a bump on the side of the motor. IT looks like there is a 'cap' (for lack of a better description) that slides on the end of the motor, I'm assuming from pictures that under this is where the capacitor would be. I'm fairly handy, I know how to check the capacitor, I just can't figure out how to get the cover off; there are no screws, bolts or anything on the motor to remove the cover, does it slide off?

It sounds like an AO Smith, like the one on my late Superpump. I don't know that much about electric motors, so I will defer to Dave, but mine had a tight cap, on the end, held on by two (?) screws, that needed a few taps with the handle of the screwdriver to loosen up to get to the wiring.

Agarza, maybe you could locate a pic? If I recall correctly, (which might be doubtful), there are only a few motor manufacturers for a lot of pump makers.

here we go, this is on one of my display cutaway super pumps

2012-01-23150632.jpg

cap is on the left, held on by a metal bar clamp that's screwed down with a 1/4" nut/screw

2012-01-23150649.jpg

side view

Northstar motors are a little different design than most motors, including the one in that picture. The end cap is a plastic half circle and the 1/4" bolt is in the middle if I remember correctly. Take that off and the capacitor and shaft will be exposed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.