Test Accuracy using TF-100 Test Kit

mikethaisun

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 24, 2009
North East Thailand
Hello
I have been testing overnight for any loss of Chlorine. Yesterday lunchtime I added Bleach to the recommended level as shown in the Pool Calculator and tested just before dark, the sun had gone down, the test showed the target level of 12ppm had been reached. This morning at daybreak I tested again and got some strange results. Firstly after adding the 0870 powder the water in the tube remained clear, I thought this odd so dumped that and used the fast test method using the blue plastic CH & pH kit and got a very high colour reading. I tried another FC test again this time I got a colour change in the water albeit very faint. I tried again and got a positive change in the sample and a reading of 12ppm. My concern is the 'heaped' amount of the 0870. The shovel is so small what does 'heaped' mean, It is very difficult to judge an exact amount or does it matter? I have noted the more 0870 added to the water sample makes it colour a lot stronger

My test kit is nearly three years old so it maybe too old to use, if so do I need to replace everything? Is there a stockist in Thailand where I can replenish it as postage from the States is very expensive even for small package weights.
Thanks
Mike

R-0870 DPD Powder
As it degrades, the color will turn from an off-white color to gray or purple-gray and will gradually become a purple- brown color.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ontentID=2
2. Add 2 dippers R-0870. Swirl until dissolved. If free chlorine is present, sample will turn pink.
NOTE: If pink color disappears, add R-0870 until color turns pink.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... umber=5138
High FC can bleach the color, and more R-0870 should be added if the color flashes pink and then turns colorless.

Hello
Thanks for the information, my R-0870 is definitely a brownish/purple colour so needs replacing? Where I live is a long way from any possible supplier and will take some time before I can get a new supply even if I have to order it from the States. So I shall continue checking FC as your quote No.2, adding more R-0870 until the colour turns pink and then carry on as normal with R-0871.
I really need help with suppliers in Thailand if anyone knows one. Or can you tell me what chemical R-0870 is.
Thanks
Mike

As long as the powder will turn your solution pink, the test is valid. The exact amount of powder you use to turn the solution pink is not important. Depending, it may take 1 scoop or three (or more) to turn the solution pink. Once that occurs you use the R-871 drops per the instructions regardless of how much powder was required.

The powder begins to darken slowly as soon as it is opened. It will continue to darken until, like yours, it reaches a charcoal/purple condition but, again, as long as it will turn your test sample pink, you are good to go. Three years is a stretch for the rest of your chemistry and Taylor suggests annual replacement although many on the forum go longer and still get good test results.

There is a company called Horner Xpress that will ship Taylor chemistry internationally. I am sorry but we cannot do so.

Hello
I have just tried to carry out an FC test but R-0870 granules have gone black and coagulated resulting in a black sludgy type liquid in the test tube, the colour did not turn pink even after adding a considerable amount of R-0871. I am now stuck until I can get a fresh supply from somewhere. Do you have any website address for the company you mentioned?
Regards
Mike

mikethaisun said:
...the colour did not turn pink even after adding a considerable amount of R-0871....

R-0871, which is the FAS/DPD titrating reagent, will not turn the solution pink. It is used to eliminate the pink color from a sample that has already turned pink due to the presence of chlorine by the addition of R-0870, the FAS/DPD powder.

If the R-0870 does not turn your sample pink, you either don't have any chlorine in your water or the powder itself has outlived its useful life and needs to be replaced from tftestkits.net.

Hello and thanks
I have emailed Horner express but as yet have not received a reply. I ordered and received my TF-100 test kit from Duraleigh, does anyone have any idea as to why I cannot order refills from them or know of another international supplier other than Horner express.
Regards
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ordered and received my TF-100 test kit from Duraleigh, does anyone have any idea as to why I cannot order refills from them
Back then, we were unaware of the complicated and myriad shipping regulations required for international shipments of the chemicals involved. Once we recognized just how complicated they are, we felt like it was w-a-ay beyond our small little companies' ability to do successfully.

Hello everyone
Thanks for the advice given its appreciated Here is an update of my attempts to get some help from the companies based in the USA.
Duraleigh were very kind in responding quickly but could not send supplies to Thailand, the=y advised me to contact Taylor Technologies direct. Another kind person advised me to contact Horner Express as they ship internationally. Both these companies have ignored my request for assistance and have not returned my email. I guess they are much too busy serving larger clients and are not bothered by little guys who don't want to order large quantities. I find it a little disappointing in that attitude and would have thought I would have had an answer even out of respect for my original enquiry.
So it seems don't bother Horner Express of Taylor Technolgies if you do not want to order in large quantities.
I apologise for my tone but after having so many kind people trying to help me, for which I am very thankful, I am now wondering where do I go next.
I will try the contact in Phuket that was sent to me sent from Buford and let you know how I get on with that. all I realy need at desperatly at present is the R-0870 granules. Is this a secret formulae or does it have a name that can be used to purchase form a chemical supplier.
Thanks all
Mike

Mike:
The Waterworks guys do carry Taylor and something called Aussie gold, this link is to a Taylor test kit http://www.waterworkswarehouse.net/prod ... d_cate2=32 I did not see any of the R-0870 and R-0871 but they did list some replacement reagents (ph, ch, ta etc) . It seems like these people have retail stores, in about five places, so depending on where you are at, you might be able to walk in and get an answer.

There might be dealers in Australia, India or somewhere in Asia that ship to Thailand.
Good luck

Hello
This is aimed at a Duraleigh contact. I need R=0870 and R-0871 pretty quickly, I have a cousin who lives in Tampa, could you post it to him and he will send it on? If so please let me know costs etc and if you accept cc's or Paypal for payment.
Please vadvise
regards
Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.