IntelliChlor SWG Salt Level Reading

Stinkyfish

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Bellflower Ca
I have a IntelliChlor IC20 SWG on my pool that is reading the salt level at being between 2500-2900ppm. My own test using the AquaCheck test strip is reading 3280ppm. I even took a sample to the pool store to get a 2nd test to verify. The owners manual say's "The cell will continue to produce chlorine but at a reduced level". Any suggestions on what I can do.
Todays test results: FC-1, TA-90, CH-310, PH-7.6, SALT-3280, TEMP. 64 Degrees

It is most likely the lower water temp that has your cell thinking the salt level is low. the other possiblity is calcium buildup on the cell. When is the last time you cleaned it?

They seem to be notoriously inaccurate. My first one was always off by about ~500ppm. It had to be replaced because it suddenly jumped to being off by about ~5000ppm. The replacement IC20 reads low by ~600ppm. It reads ~3200ppm while my strips show ~3800ppm. There is a procedure to re-calibrate the salt sensor if you know exactly what your current level is but I don't have it handy. I'll try to find it.

SWG don't work as well at colder temperatures, sometimes reading lower than actual salt levels, and producing less chlorine than they can at higher temperatures.

You didn't say what your CYA level is. The CYA level has a major impact on the SWG. If CYA is too low you will have difficulty maintaining FC levels even if the SWG is working perfectly.

Your calcium balance appears to be fine so I doubt that this is an issue, but in some cases calcium scale can build up on the SWG cell plates which can cause lower than actual salt readings and reduced production of chlorine. A quick visual inspection will show some of the plates looking white instead of metallic if this is the problem.

Strannik said:
Stinkyfish said:
What would be considered optimum temp. for SWG?

Generally 25 deg C is considered "optimum", mostly because all tests are usually done at this temperature.
This translates to about 77 degrees Fahrenheit for those in the US.

I'd say 20-30 deg is normal.
68 to 86 For us Americans. (Call it 70 to 85!)

Obviously IntelliChlor might have their own recommendations, so you should check the manual.

HTH :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strannik said:
Thanks waterbear!

I wish some people would follow the rest of the world and finally go metric. :-D

NEVER!!! 8)

They tried to cram the metric system down our throats when I was in grade school, but the vast majority of citizens did not / do not want to abandon the imperial measurement system. The conversions are not that difficult and those who have a need for metrics learn it easily enough without a forced conversion for the rest of our society.

Metric would have been much easier if we had adopted it back when the big push was on to do so but the American people seem to enjoy being 'dumbed down'. (Or is it that they fear what they don't understand and don't want to try and understand?) Sorry if it sounds harsh but, IMHO, it's the truth! Just look at the state of our Education system today. That decline started under Regan (you remember, the one who said ketchup was a vegetable in the school lunch program! :shock: :shock: :shock: ) and continued to get worse. :

Curiously, the pool and spa is the one place I do use the metric system. It's much easier to figure out how much of a chemical to add in ml or grams than to use quarts, oz., tsp, tbsp, lbs, and/or the other oz.

My pool is very close to 50,000L and my spa is 1900L. The Water temp in my pool is 19, hoping for 27 by the middle of next week :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.