Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliChlor SWG Salt Level Reading

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliChlor SWG Salt Level Reading

I have a IntelliChlor IC20 SWG on my pool that is reading the salt level at being between 2500-2900ppm. My own test using the AquaCheck test strip is reading 3280ppm. I even took a sample to the pool store to get a 2nd test to verify. The owners manual say's "The cell will continue to produce chlorine but at a reduced level". Any suggestions on what I can do.
    Todays test results: FC-1, TA-90, CH-310, PH-7.6, SALT-3280, TEMP. 64 Degrees
    Don
    12,000g gunite w/ 8'x5' spa, 2 waterfalls, mini pebble,3 Whisperflo pumps, Pentair 4060 DE filter, Intellichor IC20 SWG, MPULSE 3000 Water Treatment System,Sta-Rite gas heater, Kreepy Krauly pool sweep, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is most likely the lower water temp that has your cell thinking the salt level is low. the other possiblity is calcium buildup on the cell. When is the last time you cleaned it?

3. Back To Top    #3

They seem to be notoriously inaccurate. My first one was always off by about ~500ppm. It had to be replaced because it suddenly jumped to being off by about ~5000ppm. The replacement IC20 reads low by ~600ppm. It reads ~3200ppm while my strips show ~3800ppm. There is a procedure to re-calibrate the salt sensor if you know exactly what your current level is but I don't have it handy. I'll try to find it.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SWG don't work as well at colder temperatures, sometimes reading lower than actual salt levels, and producing less chlorine than they can at higher temperatures.

You didn't say what your CYA level is. The CYA level has a major impact on the SWG. If CYA is too low you will have difficulty maintaining FC levels even if the SWG is working perfectly.

Your calcium balance appears to be fine so I doubt that this is an issue, but in some cases calcium scale can build up on the SWG cell plates which can cause lower than actual salt readings and reduced production of chlorine. A quick visual inspection will show some of the plates looking white instead of metallic if this is the problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Plates are clean. CYA is 70. Don't know why I left that out? What would be considered optimum temp. for SWG? Thanks everyone.
    Don
    12,000g gunite w/ 8'x5' spa, 2 waterfalls, mini pebble,3 Whisperflo pumps, Pentair 4060 DE filter, Intellichor IC20 SWG, MPULSE 3000 Water Treatment System,Sta-Rite gas heater, Kreepy Krauly pool sweep, TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just noticed that there is a forum for SWG's. I guess I should of put my question over there.
    Don

7. Back To Top    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkyfish
    I just noticed that there is a forum for SWG's. I guess I should of put my question over there.
    Moved it for you.

This is off the top of my head, but I think the Intellichlor may to be at 67 or above. I'd have to check the owner's manual though.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

What would be considered optimum temp. for SWG?
    Generally 25 deg C is considered "optimum", mostly because all tests are usually done at this temperature.
    I'd say 20-30 deg is normal.

Obviously IntelliChlor might have their own recommendations, so you should check the manual.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Strannik
    What would be considered optimum temp. for SWG?
    Generally 25 deg C is considered "optimum", mostly because all tests are usually done at this temperature.
    This translates to about 77 degrees Fahrenheit for those in the US.

I'd say 20-30 deg is normal.
    68 to 86 For us Americans. (Call it 70 to 85!)

Obviously IntelliChlor might have their own recommendations, so you should check the manual.
    HTH

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks waterbear!

I wish some people would follow the rest of the world and finally go metric.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Strannik
    Thanks waterbear!

I wish some people would follow the rest of the world and finally go metric.
    NEVER!!! 8)

They tried to cram the metric system down our throats when I was in grade school, but the vast majority of citizens did not / do not want to abandon the imperial measurement system. The conversions are not that difficult and those who have a need for metrics learn it easily enough without a forced conversion for the rest of our society.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

12. Back To Top    #12

we still use both
    it's mainly some industries which still didn't convert

sometimes it even gets funny, like when you measure the length of a pipe in meters, and diameter in inches

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks everyone for your help. I will wait for water temp. to rise before doing anything else. Strannik, I agree w/ you about going metric. So much easier using whole numbers instead fractions.
    Don

14. Back To Top    #14
    Metric would have been much easier if we had adopted it back when the big push was on to do so but the American people seem to enjoy being 'dumbed down'. (Or is it that they fear what they don't understand and don't want to try and understand?) Sorry if it sounds harsh but, IMHO, it's the truth! Just look at the state of our Education system today. That decline started under Regan (you remember, the one who said ketchup was a vegetable in the school lunch program! ) and continued to get worse. :

15. Back To Top    #15

In all honesty mate, australian education is catching up with american. Soon they are going to be equally bad.
    I'm looking at the things my daughter does at school (and her homework) and I'm glad that i didn't go to school in Australia.

16. Back To Top    #16

Curiously, the pool and spa is the one place I do use the metric system. It's much easier to figure out how much of a chemical to add in ml or grams than to use quarts, oz., tsp, tbsp, lbs, and/or the other oz.

My pool is very close to 50,000L and my spa is 1900L. The Water temp in my pool is 19, hoping for 27 by the middle of next week
    Chris W

My Pool: 14K gal IG, Pebblesheen, Pentair 420 Cart Filter, Autopilot Digital SWCG, Paramount PV3 In-floor cleaning. UltraPure Ozone
    My Spa: 2007 Down East Windsor SE, Spa-Pilot SWCG :)
    My Kit: PS-234 w/salt test, Refills from Taylor and TFkits

17. Back To Top    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    This is off the top of my head, but I think the Intellichlor may need to be at 67 or above. I'd have to check the owner's manual though.
    I checked the manual and I was WAY off. The unit shuts off at temperatures below 52°F.
    TFP Founder