Best SWG

chill

Jan 16, 2012
I realize this is a question that may yield a subjective answer, but can anyone provide a solid recommendation for a SWG for a 120,000 gallon neighborhood pool. There are a lot of brands and I am looking for some guidance before I start getting quotes.

Thanks in advance.

Great info. Thanks much. I am waiting on quotes right now. One of the pool companies we are looking at is really against SWGs. So, at this point, I am on the fence. Cost will be the biggest determining factor as to whether we stay with stick, switch back to liquid or migrate to SWG.

I am in Cobb County GA. The Health Department requires the the free residual chlorine be between 3.0 and 5.0. My understanding is that SWG systems would be hard pressed to achieve that level without supplemental chlorine being added. Especially on a 120,000 gallon pool.

Is that true - or is that anti-salt rhetoric?

According to Cobb County Health, here are the Pool Chemical requirements

Free Unstabilized Chlorine 1.5ppm - 10ppm, ideal 3.0ppm - 5.0ppm

Free Stabilized Chlorine 3.0ppm - 10.0ppm, ideal 3.0ppm to 5.0ppm

Calcium Hardness 150ppm - 1000ppm, ideal 200ppm - 400ppm

Total Alkalinity 60ppm - 180ppm, ideal 80ppm - 120ppm

Cyanuric Acid 0ppm - 100ppm, ideal 30ppm-50ppm

For a 120000 gallon pool, roughly what would a system consist of, and cost, to be robust enough to provide the proper pool chemistry and be a reliable system for years.

Chill, GA state guidelines call for 3 lbs/10,000 gallons per day. At 120,000 gallons, that would be 36 lbs/day output max.
Cobb County only calls for it to be NSF and to maintain 1-5 ppm, which would depend on your flow rate. At a 6 hr turnover (333 gpm), you need 20 lbs/day output.
This is per the Dept of Environmental Health.
I can check with them again to confirm and verify if you can use a dual system configuration, that is, salt with a bleach or tab back up system. I'll get back with you on this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.