Rain maintenance during winter

Jun 14, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
So my pool is and has been closed for the winter sine november. Our area has seen record breaking rainfall this year that ive had to drain the water in my pool 3+ times to get it below the returns. Im sure i have no chlorine in there as of now. Today we are getting another 2" of rain then it is dropping below freezing tonight until the weekend, when it will be about 50 again.
Any suggestions on what i need to do so i dont open to a green swamp? Would it be alright until the weather gets warmer?

It should be fine while the water is cold. The biggest thing you can do to keep the pool from devoloping algae over the winter is to close late and open early. I don't even bother to shock my pool before closing. I turn my Liquidator to full flow a day or so before I close to get all the chlorine out of it, and don't add any until I open in the spring.

I'm with JohnT. Trying to get some chlorine in there now with no circulation probably isn't worth it overall.

If your pool is a little green in the Spring, it's easy enough to cure it with additional chlorine. I would undertake that job when I could circulate and filter the water.

Ah ultra-mesh. I think I may close my pool next year. We get alot of rain in the winter here in GA. I was wondering if the water went through the cover or somehow got around it.

If you're going to be under the cover anyway, you might as well grab a sample and test it. That way you'll know where chlorine is.

I don't know much about dealing with a closed pool. From what I've read here, closing late and opening early (ie water temp is under 60F) goes a long way to minimizing algae issues when opening the pool. As far as the pump, someone else will need to comment on if it will provide you with the circulation you need to add chlorine.

I have a Meyco. Pool built in '84.

Rains/snows every year. Never drain or do anything. Open in the Spring.....usually pump water out while vacuuming and add chemicals and have never had any algae or anything more than some silt in the bottom.

JohnT said:
The biggest thing you can do to keep the pool from devoloping algae over the winter is to close late and open early.
Absolutely. Minimizing the amount of time your closed pool is subject to warm weather is definitely a good way to help reduce algae issues.

I've read a lot of positive reviews of the AquaPill WinterPills, too. I couldn't find any consensus on the forum (the only mention is a reference to the other forum), but it sounds like it's generally well liked as part of a closing plan from customer reviews. Or, in this case, part a mid-winter-caution plan.

But, as I haven't tested it personally, I'll lend a nod to a good quote from another thread:
Bama Rambler said:
Close properly according to pool school and you won't need any of that stuff. (closing-kit-t39198.html)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.