Pool remarciting- do you need to destroy the tiles?

Oct 7, 2010
Hi Folks,

I have an older pool- classic light blue marcite- smooth walls/floor. Needs redoing cuz there are blotches throughout. Thing is- there is a layer of tile at the top going around, of course. When remarciting, can the top layer/ridge of tile remain intact or will it have to come off/be destroyed in the process?

Thanks!

Yes, Scott, theyre in great shape! Funny- neighbors etc are saying "yeah' you have to bust up the tiles cuz we all had to". Geez, Im so glad I checked here first!! Looks like theres a local pool guy that likes to encourage this practice - run up the bill(?) Now, I can get quotes and be informed.

Thnaks, Man!

Sometimes it's best to redo the coping and tile at the same time as a replaster, and sometimes it's better to just do the plaster. It really depends on the circumstances. The tile can be substantially unbonded with little obvious problems. Another question is whether or not to chip out the old plaster, or just plaster over the existing plaster.

It's usually best to get multiple quotes and opinions from local contractors for comparison.

JamesW said:
Sometimes it's best to redo the coping and tile at the same time as a replaster, and sometimes it's better to just do the plaster. It really depends on the circumstances. The tile can be substantially unbonded with little obvious problems. Another question is whether or not to chip out the old plaster, or just plaster over the existing plaster.

It's usually best to get multiple quotes and opinions from local contractors for comparison.

Thanks, james. Good info.

duraleigh said:
Needs redoing cuz there are blotches throughout.
A little off your subject but have you attempted to remove the blotches or would it need refinished regardless?

Havnt done anything yet- pools still "full". Not sure if those blotches can be redone/smoothed over and last years. Dont want just a touch up job only to redo in 1-2 yrs. havmnt called anyone yet- geez, time flies. Hope to tackle/get quotes withing a month or so.

Thaks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.