Winter and Adding Bleach

Sep 20, 2011
My water temp is 49 degree and looks great. I run my pump when temps fall below freezing which is not that often here In South Carolina. My question is do I need to keep chlorine levels up some during these colder months?

I run my pump when temps fall below freezing
I don't close or cover my pool, either. I do run my pump every day.....only for an hour or so but I like to keep the water moving. I also run my robot as much as it takes to keep the pool clean. I'm not sure if it will shut down if the water gets REALLY cold but we'll see.

I didn't close my pool this winter. I still run my pump daily and ensure that it runs anytime the temp approaches freezing. At first, I was still testing regularly and adjusting my pump's run time depending on the conditions.

I've found maintain the pool in the winter can be a real pain, especially to my hands my water is getting really cold. So, I've become really lazy. I pretty much just run the pump from late evening until late morning which is almost always covers the hours when the weather approaches freezing. If we get a really cold spat, I'll run it 24/7 until it passes. Also, started adding 1 jug of bleach a week. Its easy to remember and easy to explain to my wife if I can't get to it. But even at that rate, my FC has been climbing (I still test the water). I don't mind so much, since it provides a little insurance and allows me to skip a dose from time to time.

If I was less cold adverse (lol, read lazy) I'm sure I could get away with running the pump much less and adding less bleach each week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.