Flex Tube Collapse

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have a skimmer line plumbed with flex tube that has collapsed. We originally thought a pool toy got caught in the skimmer. But after running a snake with a camera down the line, we have a collapse about 2 ft below the skimmer line. I am going to finally connect my vacuum line as an alternative. So I don't need the skimmer operating at absolute efficiency. But is there a way to do something other than a complete skimmer replacement ($2,000)? I thought about runing two hoses (1 at skimmer and 1 at pump) both with those Cobra drain bladders to pressure those lines open. Any other ideas as to how to stretch those lines open? Thx again for all the help, SR

The skimmer will not need replacing and I doubt the entire line "needs" replacing. If you were to replace it, use pressure rated schedule 40 pipe. Your kinked line is #2 on my list of three reasons not to use flex pvc. #1 is termites can eat it and #3 is tabs make it swell and weaken, eventually clogging or kinking.

Depending on how much concrete decking there is, you can plug the skimmer and either tunnel under to get at the collapse and replace the bad section or you're going to cut the concrete and dig down to get at it..

Once flex kinks, it remembers and even if the flex is straightened, will re-kink soon, usually when manually vacuuming.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.