False Information Being Distributed

IkeRay

May 20, 2007
Houston, Tx
Via another website. I couldn't help but laugh at how they have to bash the use of the BBB method in order to scare people into buying their product:

http://www.learnaboutpools.com/poolshocks.html said:
Don’t use Liquid Shock!

Another type of shock that is widely available at any local pool store, hardware store and many grocery stores is liquid chlorine. This liquid chlorine is commonly used as shock, and used in place of chlorine tablets. Many pool owners believe this liquid chlorine is all they need to properly maintain a swimming pool, and unfortunately this is incorrect. Liquid chlorine is very inefficient and costly compared to properly maintaining a swimming pool using chlorine tablets and a weekly shock treatment. Liquid shock may seem easier to use than the granular shock for some pool owners because you simply walk up to the pool and dump the liquid in. The problem is that after you dump the hazardous liquid in your pool, you have to dispose of all the empty plastic bottles with the dangerous chemical residue inside. Granular pool shock is packaged in small, easy to use 1 lb. bags. If any children have access to the area where pool chemicals are stored it will be far easier to have an accident involving full or empty bottles of liquid chlorine, than an accident with bags of granular pool shock.

Granular Pool Shock is rated at a minimum of 47% available chlorine and available in concentrations up to 75%. If you look at the label on a bottle of liquid chlorine it will say that it is ONLY 10% SODIUM Hypochlorite (chlorine)!! This means you are paying for 90% salt water with every bottle you buy. The dosage for a standard granular pool shock is 1 lb. per 10,000 gallons of pool water. If you are currently using a liquid shock, you should compare the cost of a dose of liquid shock to the cost of a dose of granular pool shock. You will find that granular pool shock can offer you a considerable savings.

one of their arguments is what to do with a #6 plastic bottle with a water soluble chemical in it. what i usually do with mine is gather the bottles for the week in the laundry room and rinse them out when im doing a load of socks, then i recycle the bottle, and its much safer than opening one of those buckets of chlorine and getting a face full of toxic chlorine gas.

In my case, I return the bottles to my pool store and exchange them for filled ones. The pool store reuses them which is much better than recycling -- there's no waste generated (at least no plastic waste). The main energy inefficiency is in the transportation from where the (relatively heavy due to water) chlorine is generated to the store and to my home. Those with an SWG essentially make their own chlorine on-site.

Also, they are wrong about the economics as can be seen in this link since they aren't accounting for the extra base (pH Up or Washing Soda) you need to buy when using Trichlor or Dichlor. Also, they don't say anything about the side effects of having the CYA continue to climb.

Richard

problem is, if your the average pool owner ( i most certainly AM) your gunna fall for that, if it was not for this site and i found out about BBB some other way,i would definatly fall for that. the problem is the tablets are just too darn easy, i fill up the bucket once a week, have the dial set to the perfect setting for my pool for 3ppm (5) and forget it. with bleach i have to check and re check and add everyday. which i did find with my pool. just IMO, now if the liquidator was just like my clorinator i would buy it in a heartbeat, as it was so much cheaper to buy bleach.

but the pool store scam is just so inviting, i mean just poor this bag in, and you just shocked, easy yes $$$$ DOUBLE YES i think with the pool store sucking me in last year i blew ab out 1000 dollars on chemicals. now with a test kit thats better.

i wish people would not get so wrapped up in makeing money, as both of you staited this is false but alot of pool owners are going to belive it. sadly.

What I find interesting is that EVERY link on the site takes you to In the Swim! Of course they don't recommend liquid chlorine. Online retailers like In the Swim can't sell it!

IkeRay said:
one of their arguments is what to do with a #6 plastic bottle with a water soluble chemical in it. what i usually do with mine is gather the bottles for the week in the laundry room and rinse them out when im doing a load of socks, then i recycle the bottle, and its much safer than opening one of those buckets of chlorine and getting a face full of toxic chlorine gas.

Actually - I just thought I'd add this as a word of caution:

About 3 weeks ago - one of my coworkers opened a bottle of LIQUID bleach and it had one of those little papery white covers on the top of it that you have to peel off. Well she peeled it off and in the process, shook the bottle and bleach went into her face and eye. She's fine now - but was in a lot of pain, went to the emergency room, and had about a week of recovery time, and still feels like she has sand in her eye to this day.

That said - I know several people - my husband included - that had the scary & dangerous experience of a chlorine dust cloud in the face.

So to state the obvious - the chemicals are super dangerous - and be very careful handling them.

katkami said:
IkeRay said:

About 3 weeks ago - one of my coworkers opened a bottle of LIQUID bleach and it had one of those little papery white covers on the top of it that you have to peel off. Well she peeled it off and in the process, shook the bottle and bleach went into her face and eye. She's fine now - but was in a lot of pain, went to the emergency room, and had about a week of recovery time, and still feels like she has sand in her eye to this day.

That said - I know several people - my husband included - that had the scary & dangerous experience of a chlorine dust cloud in the face.

So to state the obvious - the chemicals are super dangerous - and be very careful handling them.

this is the NUMBER ONE REASON. why i hire people to take care of the pool. i test, tell them what they need to do to it, they put it all in.

katkami said:
IkeRay said:

the chlorine pucks and granulars are much more dangerous in the bucket. I used to open the buckets to a chlorine gas cloud from the exposed puck or chlorine. The cheaper bleaches have the paper top thing, clorox doesn't apparently, which makes it a lot quicker to dump the chlorine in, than having to remove the paper thing.

Come on people, clorine is yes, dangerous, but so is gasoline (adding to your lawn mower etc.) or even adding bleach to your washer, its no more difficult to add bleach (liquid clorine) to your pool than it is to put gas in your car.

and so far as what the add claims, keep all chemicals out of childrens reach, besides, you usually keep pool chemicals by the pool, right? so why would a child be in the backyard without adult supervision in the first place.

And finally, let me know who needs help adding bleach to there pool, I'm available :wink: cheap too

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.