Correct water level?

stevodevo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 22, 2011
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi all,

Just wondering if there's a "correct" pool water level for a skimmer to work most efficiently? I have an auto leveller and after a recent downpour filled the pool to the brim, I plugged the overflow so I could watch carefully how it's slowly levelling out (the auto-leveller is about 5 metres from the pool so it there may be a couple of cm variance to allow for). Ultimately I'd like to keep the pool as full as possible after it rains to keep the weir door from banging too much. Just wondering if it can be TOO full for whatever reason? Picture below shows the current pool level which is probably where I'd like it to be (the skimmer opening is not perfectly level), but the next pic of the auto-leveller shows that it still has a cm or so to drain before it's level, so it will always drain below the current level. That's OK if it needs to be be lower for efficient skimming etc, but I'll have to do something if I want to keep the water level at it's current level. We're in Australia, so no main drain, just the skimmer.

[attachment=0:1f4xg96a]IMG_1623-1.JPG[/attachment:1f4xg96a]
[attachment=1:1f4xg96a]IMG_1628-1.JPG[/attachment:1f4xg96a]

Attachments

• IMG_1628-1.JPG
    IMG_1628-1.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1623-1.JPG
    IMG_1623-1.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 222
Yes, it can be too full. High water causes poor skimmer action in cleaning the surface of the water. Normally you want the water slightly past halfway on the skimmer opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.