Main Drain Question

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I was not sure where to put this so please move if in the wrong spot. I have a IG pool. We also have a main drain. I have been in the house for over 2 years and have never figure out how to use the main drain. Have never needed to, but just would like to know how if I ever do. I think I have found the spot where if I need to drain where it drains out, but not how to start the main drain to drain the pool. Anyone have any idea. There is nothing around the pump or anything that just jumps out at me.

Thanks.

In modern pools, the function of a main drain is mainly for circulation although there is some debate as to how much it really helps. Normally, it is much easier to drain a pool with a separate sump pump placed in the deep end.

But to drain the pool with the main drain requires a specific setup. Mainly, the main drain must be plumbed separate from the skimmer and there must be a way to shut off the flow from the skimmers. Many main drains are plumbed through the skimmer which makes it very difficult to drain that way.

So do you know if the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer or directly to the equipment pad? You can usually tell by the configuration at the suction side of the pump. If you have only a single pipe into the pump, then the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer and it will be more difficult to drain the pool that way. If you have multiple pipes with valves, then it is likely that you have control of the flow from the skimmers and main drain.

mas985 said:
In modern pools, the function of a main drain is mainly for circulation although there is some debate as to how much it really helps. Normally, it is much easier to drain a pool with a separate sump pump placed in the deep end.

But to drain the pool with the main drain requires a specific setup. Mainly, the main drain must be plumbed separate from the skimmer and there must be a way to shut off the flow from the skimmers. Many main drains are plumbed through the skimmer which makes it very difficult to drain that way.

So do you know if the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer or directly to the equipment pad? You can usually tell by the configuration at the suction side of the pump. If you have only a single pipe into the pump, then the main drain is plumbed through the skimmer and it will be more difficult to drain the pool that way. If you have multiple pipes with valves, then it is likely that you have control of the flow from the skimmers and main drain.

I want to say through the skimmer, since in the bottom of the skimmer there are two holes, and only one one pipe that comes out that connects to the pump.

Yes, it sounds like it is plumbed through the skimmer. There is a way to plumb the two skimmer holes together, temporarily, so that you could drain that way. But it would probably be easier to get a submersible pump if you even needed to drain the pool.

Malibu07 said:
is there a drain in the bottom of your pool?

Yes there is in the deep end.

I am not looking to drain my pool, was only wondering. We have a drain area where I think the pool will drain to, but not sure. I am thinking of putting a patio in and wanted to make sure this drain area was not for the pool as well.

The way mine is set up is, I have two main drains in the deep end. When I go to close the pool or when there are storms in the summer, I use the main drains to pump water out. I connect a blue pool hose to the sand filter and run it across my back yard to a drainage ditch. Then I select "Waste" on top of the sand filter and let some of the water out.
I guess what you are wondering is if your pool builders put an underground drain line? If you still have your equipment set up, you should have a handle somewhere that lets you select waste, backwash ect. I would set it on backwash just to see where it is draining to.

Malibu07 said:
The way mine is set up is, I have two main drains in the deep end. When I go to close the pool or when there are storms in the summer, I use the main drains to pump water out. I connect a blue pool hose to the sand filter and run it across my back yard to a drainage ditch. Then I select "Waste" on top of the sand filter and let some of the water out.
I guess what you are wondering is if your pool builders put an underground drain line? If you still have your equipment set up, you should have a handle somewhere that lets you select waste, backwash ect. I would set it on backwash just to see where it is draining to.

I have a DE filter with just one handle. I raise it to backwash, put it down to circulate into the pool. When backwashing it backwashes out into the road. I am not sure if it is being backwashed and the water is going out the main drain or the skimmer. Because when I backwash I have to have the pump on, which I assume it is always done that way.

You said you never figured out how to use the main drain.

You know you need a diverter gizmo in the skimmer to get any suction from the main drain, right?

My skimmer/main drain is plumbed same as you described. Took me most of the first year to realize what that gizmo was for....

CUTiger78 said:
You said you never figured out how to use the main drain.

You know you need a diverter gizmo in the skimmer to get any suction from the main drain, right?

My skimmer/main drain is plumbed same as you described. Took me most of the first year to realize what that gizmo was for....

Does that just allow you to use your main drain for circulation or to drain? I do not have a diverter, but on another thread saw one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.