Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi everyone!

I am starting to add borax to my pool for the first time. Pool calculator says 1112oz by weight for 40 ppm from 0 ppm. Thats a lot of borax!

Any tips on adding it to the pool? Should i just gradually add it so that it doesnt sit at the bottom while keeping an eye on pH?

Also the pool paramaters are: (pool is closed)

FC 1.5
CC 0
pH 7.7
CYA 65
CH 260
TA 90
Temp 49F

Any tips from where to get borax at a good price?

Thanks!

If you use 20 Mule Team Borax, you can find it in the laundry aisle. Places like Walmart or Target usually have the best prices. However, if you use borax you will also need MA to bring the pH back down to normal levels. Read this thread about adding borates for directions. Borax dissolves pretty quickly, so if you dust it around the perimeter of the pool with the pump running it will mix in fairly quickly. You may want to go ahead and drop the pH down to 7.2 before you start adding borates since you are at the upper end of the recommended range at this time.

You may also choose to use boric acid which does not require MA to lower pH, or a commercially prepared tetraborate pentahydrate solution from a pool store. Pool store borates will be much more expensive. You can select your source of borates on the pool calculator to determine how much you will need.

Thanks for the replies!

You guys are wonderful!

I had lost the link to that post and couldnt find it by searching!

Just called a local target and they said they have 20 team mule borax 76oz for 3.49.... this is the best price i have seen yet...guess what i am doing as soon as i get off work?

LOL!

I brought half of it yesterday as the target only had 7 boxes.... once you see it physically, it doesnt seem all that much!

I took a pic... I don't recall if this was all of it, but I don't think so.

borax.jpg

WOW!

I think I am more comfortable now... since a 44K gallon took that much, mine should be almost half of that which is exactly what was calculated by the pool calculator...

Right now i am stocking up on the supplies as the $$ becomes available and will be doing the conversion as soon as i have it all together... So yes I will be getting tons of acid too...

Actually, I have to do quite a few things before opening the pool this summer... ascorbic acid treatment, replace spa drain cover, replace the suction side and return valves, maybe replace some missing tiles and boy o boy it will be a dream come true to have a SWG also!

I think it is too late for boric acid now since i have 7 boxes of borax in the garage already!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm considering adding borates to my 30,000 pebble tech salt pool. How much boric acid is needed in comparison to buying Borax? Does boric acid come in different concentrations? Chemistrystore.com sells a 50# bag of boric acid for $81.00. Seems even cheaper than using Borax from Wal-Mart. Am I missing something? Just checking as I've never used borates in my pool.

After a little research (and shipping costs and MA costs) I can accomplish the same borate level with Borax from Wal-Mart for less than buying BA from the online sources. Shipping is a killer/deal breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.