Cold Climate Solar Panel Winterizing

cramar

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 10, 2010
Sault Ontario
For owners of solar panels who live in cold (freezing) climates, do you take down your solar panel runs for the winter or do you just thoroughly drain and leave up. I seem to recall people stating they drain/leave up but I noticed the Fafco booklet says to take down.

I have Fafco SunSaver and Revolution panels that are mounted on the roof so they stay up but my local solar installer comes by and removes some pipe end caps and makes sure they are drained. However, I'm not in as cold a climate and only have a few days a year below freezing.

Small charge every year. If one wants to do it oneself, one can. You just shut off the system and remove a few caps at the bottom of some of the panels to allow full draining and then reverse the procedure for spring opening. I just don't bother getting up on the roof to do it and I like them coming out and inspecting the panels for any issues during spring opening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.