Wish me luck

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Towards the end of summer, every once in a while when I started the pump manually, I'd just catch a glimpse of a squirt of water by the pump. Never lost prime, no puddles. Around the time of our huge windstorms, the pump started getting noisy. I've been a mechanic long enough to know the sound of a bad bearing. It's still pumping okay, still not losing prime, still not leaking. I let the holidays go past. Now it's time to wrestle the thing out from where it's entrapped by the maze of piping and deal with it.

Fortunately, it looks like I can detach the pump and motor from the housing. This means no cutting pipes. Not sure how I am going to get the thing up and over all the piping yet....

Anyway, that's on the schedule for tomorrow. The water's been maintaining its balance quite well, so I'm dosing it good before I shut it all down.

I'll probably let the local independent pool store do the work. While I do have gear pullers and die grinders and access to a hydraulic bearing press at work, right now time is more important than money.

Pictures wouldn't have been too exciting. Plus the request came after it was out.

But, I did get lucky. It came apart quite easily, no seized bolts or anything. And it didn't weigh as much as I'd thought, either. So it wasn't a big deal lifting it out.

When I went to the pool store, they were watching crimestoppers or something like that on TV. Not the busy season. Not even close. The guy said it would be done today, he'd call. He called maybe an hour and a half later, said the noise was a rock caught behind the impeller, so all he had to do was re-seal it. Under thirty bucks! I woulda guessed the seal kit would be at least twenty!

So, back home, wrestle it in position, bolt it up, reconnect the wires, and go. It works! The whisperflow is whispering again. No water spraying out anywhere, either. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the ground around the pump is dry, as the ground was still wet from disassembly and I wasn't terribly careful when I filled the strainer basket. Let us hope my luck holds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.