light out, now how to fix it ?

Aug 3, 2011
hey guys, moved into a house with an inground gunite pool 4 months, the light was out when we got here and i am wanting to fix it before summer. let me explain what i have done so far, had a local pool company come over and look at the pool when i got here and they said i need a whole new fixture and shot a price of $500 to fix the light. i told them i would wait until this summer before i made a decision on the light. so i go and pull the light out of the pool and the canister is completely dry, but the bulb is out, i put another bulb in and the light still wouldnt work. the breaker box probably 75 feet from the light, and there is a electric cord coming out of the ground by the box and they have had it tied into a timer below the breaker box, and the timer has to plugged in, i have tried to plug the timer in and rotate the timer to get the light to come on but it doesnt, where do i go from here ?

I believe I would get an electrician (as opposed to a pool company) to check out the timer and the light. Could be a problem with either one, or the wiring from the pool to the termination point. I had similar problem several years ago and it turned out to be a problem in an underground junction box. I paid the pool company to replace the light and it still did not work. To make a long story short when I finally got fed up with pool company and called an electrician he found the problem in about 15 minutes. I could have saved myself several hundred dollars by calling the electrician first.

There should also be a deck box somewhere near the pool with wire connections ... those connections could also be bad. The wires should run from the pool light through a conduit to the deck box (this conduit is full of water). Then another conduit with wires from the deck box to a GFCI (outlet or breaker). Mine has a third conduit from the deck box to a switch on the house. The switch, power from GFCI, and pool light connections are all made in the deck box.

Given that you do not have a voltmeter, I too would probably recommend talking to an electrician if you have not dealt with electrical wires before.

When we bought our house, I checked all this wiring and found that the pool light was not GFCI protected ... it was connected directly to a round fuse panel. I then added a GFCI outlet at the pad and ran the power to the light off of it.

never got the light fixed, gona get it done before this swimming season, i have looked all over for a deck box and i cant find one, could they have just burried the cord and run it from the light to the breaker box ?is a deck box a must ?

If you can't find a deck box then most likely it doesn't have one. With my pool they just ran all the lights to the equipment pad and had the junction box installed with all the equipment.

Do you have a volt meter yet? You can pick one up for less than $15 from the big box stores. If you are not comfortable working with electricity then you should just hire an electrician as electricity kills very quickly or pay the $500 for a new light.

I also bought a house with a pool and couldn't figure out how to get the light to work. In my case there were two things I needed to make sure were turned on. There was a breaker that needed to be turned on, this was located in a box next to the equipment. There was also a switch on top of an electrical outlet next the breaker box that controlled the light once the breaker was turned on. It was very small and was very close to the cover that flipped over the outlet. After finding that and pushing it to the other side the light came on.

Without a volt meter you will not have any idea of the problem.

The first thing is to make sure that the light has power going to it. If it does have power, then the fixture needs to be replaced since you already replaced the bulb. If the light is not getting power then the power at each junction must be measured until you find where the power stops flowing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a transformer with your light? My original transformer had a fuse in it. It was tough to see had to use a mirror to see it. Cleaned the contacts it was good to go for a season. The contacts ended up going bad, ended up replacing it with a new powersupply/transformer. Works great.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Without a volt meter you will not have any idea of the problem.

The first thing is to make sure that the light has power going to it. If it does have power, then the fixture needs to be replaced since you already replaced the bulb. If the light is not getting power then the power at each junction must be measured until you find where the power stops flowing.

^^^^ This. Checking line continuity should be the first concern.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.