12V lights safer?

Dec 16, 2011
Are 12v lights in a pool safer? I'm a little scared about having a light in my pool... However I know it's necessary... I can get a 12V light and the transformer for the same price as the 500W light .... So I was just wondering if it's safer as far as electric shock goes.....

I don't really think so. GFCIs are good, a properly installed bonding system makes the risk very low, and the isolation of 120VAC in a transformer isn't that good. You'll generally see 12VDC lights being a decent amount lower wattage than AC lights.

I agree with John. I don't see how one's any safer than the other. The niche in either case will be grounded so if there were any leakage it will short directly to the niche and not travel across the pool. Besides, as John said, GFCI's are very good at what they're designed for.

Ok thanks... I'm just afraid of the lights... They will def be on GFCI... As well as the pump... The pool will be bonded very well to rebar, everything metal and back to the pump... Is there still potential to be shocked? Like if the lights malfunction and get water in them?? I just want to be safe and cover everything...

Yes.... If I do it exactly to code I should be fine... I've had bad experiences hiring "professionals"... Even if I would hire someone I still want to know exactly what to do and how safe it is... It's just water and electricity scares me... So I just wanna be safe!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.