Pump sizing help?

TFPJules111

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Denton, TX
Hi folks,

I'm in the market for a new pump. ~13000 gal in ground pool. 2" suction line. 1 1/2" return. 24" sand filter. Soon to be adding a SWCG.

I currently have a pentair whisperflow 1 1/2 hp single speed. Would like to go to a 2 speed or variable, without breaking the bank.

What model/size do you all recommend?

You could just downsize the impeller and motor which would be about 1/2 the cost of a new pump. Since you don't have any real flow rate requirements, you go down to a 3/4 full rated HP impeller or even a 1/2 HP impeller. I have a 21k pool and I am using the equivalent of a 1/2 HP pump and it even works fine with solar.

Thanks for the input.

I guess I should mention that:

1) the female threads on the whisperflow return are iffy due to a freeze last winter pushing the threaded pvc out - I've had leaking issues all summer around that fitting and am tired of jacking with it

and

2) the motor's bearings are shot, so I'm replacing the pump entirely.

After doing a little price shopping, I think the variable speed is out. But there are so many options for 2 speed vs/ energy efficient single speed - my head is spinning.

What do you mean I don't have any "real flow rate requirements"?

My goals are to spend as little as possible on a good pump and to use as little electricity as possible when I run it.

Any manufacturer/model recommendations would be most welcome - and if anyone needs more info on my setup I'm happy to provide it.

#1 is a good reason to get a new pump but #2 is a good reason to get just a new motor.

TFPJules111 said:
What do you mean I don't have any "real flow rate requirements"?
What I meant by that is you don't have any HIGH flow rate requirements that would require a large pump so you could go with as small a pump as you can find. The smaller the pump, the more energy that you will save. The Whisperflo WFDS-3 or WFDS-24 (identical performance but different labels) are the smallest two speeds you will find in the Whisperflo line of pumps and they are also very good pumps.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Both of the pumps you recommend are 115v. I have 230v at the pad & no interest in running 115v out there.

Based on a quick look on the net - all of the 3/4 2speeds are 115v.

I guess I have to go 1hp?

You can find 1 HP up rated two speed pump that runs at 230v. Remember that a 1 HP up rated is the same as a 3/4 HP full rated pump. All of these are pretty good pumps:

Pentair SuperFlo 340042
Sta-Rite PHK2RAY6E-102L
Hayward SuperPump SP2607X102S

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.