Pump and filter size

Jan 6, 2012
Been reading alot of great info on this site for a couple of years and have converted to bbb method and it works great. When we got our 28' round pool 5 years ago they set us up with a 1 1/2hp pump and sand ball that holds 150lb of sand. We just tried to return the second sand filter due to cracking like the first one did 2 years ago. Due to pro rated warranty the new filter was going to cost about $160. The brand is Waterway. My question is should I try another Waterway filter or get a whole new system by Hayward or someone else? From what I have read the pump is really bigger than what I need maybe this is the time to get the right equipment. I am looking for pump hp recommendations and sand filter size recommendations, also brand. Thanks for any info you can give me.

p.s. both filters cracked in a seam close to the top of the bowl, a waterway guy I spoke to on the phone said I had to high of pump pressure, 12-15psi, and the pump was to big, but it all came with the pool as a kit, and the pool store says thats how they sell all their pools. Very tired of dealing with both of them.

I would recommend a 250 to 300# filter and a 1hp 2-speed above ground pump.

The too high pump pressure is bunk. Those filters are rated for 50 psig and those pumps won't produce that much pressure.

P.S. I of course, recommend the Pentair Sand Dollar filter with a Dynamo pump, but that's because it's what I have. Any of the major brands will be fine.

Thanks for your reply. I didnt thinks the pressure was the cause for the cracks but wasnt sure since I had 2 separate failures. Did you buy your components separatly to get a large sand filter and a less powerful pump. Everything I find has a smaller filter with the 1 hp pump when sold as kit. Also what is a reasonable price for this setup. Trying to take my time this winter and get things right for this coming summer. Thanks ahead for any more info.

I can't explain why the package sets come with such large pumps and small filters. As you see in my sig I got pool stored and have too large a pump too. I will be changing it out for a 1 hp 2-speed when it fails.

The best advice I can give is to search around for a separate pump and filter.

The reason I read is that most people associate pump horsepower with quality and/or a good deal, they see a pkg with a 1/2 HP pump and think it's too small and think they are being taken, they see the same pkg with a 1 or 1.5 hp pump and they think their getting a better deal.

Sounds believable to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.