Pump/filter mixing brands...

Dec 16, 2011
I am about to put in a new pool... Saving every penny possible... :)... Someone is filling in their pool and I can get a Hayward sand filter for about $50... If I delet the sand filter from my kit I will save $350... However, my pump will be a 1.5hp Jandy... Does this matter? Will it cause problems when hooking everything up? Also what should I look for buying a used sand filter...
Thanks!!!

The biggest thing you need to know is what size is the sand filter. Also you may be able to save some on the pump too. 1½ hp is a pretty big pump. What size and type pool are you putting in? You should certainly consider a 2-speed pump, 3/4 or 1 hp should be plenty big.

It's a 20x40.... 8ft deep... The filter I'm getting is coming off of a 18x50... So we pretty close in size.... And the sand filter is 24".... He also has a pump... But he doesn't know if he wants to sell that yet.... Not sure what size it is.... If I get a new one... Should I go with the 1hp? I don't know if they offer a 2 speed??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The biggest advantage of a 2-speed pump is that you can run it most all the time on low and just switch to high for backwashing and/or vacuuming. That way you save a lot of electricity over running a single speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.