mixsig

Sep 12, 2007
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Need to have a pool re-plastered and would appreciate some insight.

* A local (Austin, TX) plaster contractor raised his bid 20% from last year. Have energy costs affected materials to this degree?

* Another contractor submitted a bid in which he plans to only pressure wash the existing plaster. No sandblasting! My initial impression is this guy is less than trustworthy.

* Any suggestions of specific requirements to include in a replastering contract?
- Material requirements?
- Minimum acceptable warranty?
- preparatory work?

Thanks.

The industry has slowed a bit, and operating costs are higher. I would still check around to see if someone else has a better bid just in case. Someone else may be hurting more for business and give you a killer deal..
As for preparing the pool for plaster, we always scar up the old plaster with a jackhammer. Both to remove any questionable patches of plaster that could make the new plaster weak, as well as to give the new plaster something to adhere to. I wouldn't think that just pressure washing it would be sufficient.
Warranty on plaster seems to vary a lot. Standard white plaster often gets a 1 year warranty. From what I have seen, if it lasts a year, it's free of defects. 99% of problems after 1 year are chemical related. In fact, most before one year are chemical related too, but less so than after one year.

Replaster

We are plastering on Wednesday. I'm in Austin and we are using H & H. Call Barrett at 247-8348. We have been nothing but thrilled with their service and and product to this point. I'll let you know Friday how the plaster looks!

Since we DIY'd the pool demo, tile, coping,etc, H & H worked with us on our schedule and they do sandblast. We demo'd first and then they came in and sandblasted and have been waiting while we put everything back together for the plaster. We found their prices to be very competitive. They are much bigger in the Dallas area and have moved into the Austin area in the last few years.

We interviewed and received quotes from several companies and we had a much better comfort level with them than the others.

Be careful. I found from many, many references and word of mouth that one company is notorious in the Austin area for coming in with one quote and in the middle of the job the amount raised significanty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.