pump will not prime

May 9, 2011
So I went on a 13 day trip and forgot to ask a neighbor to keep an eye on the water level of the pool. The water level got below the skimmers with the pump still running. I got the water level up and the pump running for a day or two and now the pump will not fully prime. Also the sand filter pressure gauge will not show any pressure. Did I damage the pump? Any suggestions will be helpful, thanks.

It's quite possible that the pump ran nearly dry. This can generate a significant amount of heat in the pump, enough to boil water, generate steam, and warp or shrink the plumbing and destroy the seal set between the impeller and motor. A warped pump basket is a strong indicator this occurred.

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
It's quite possible that the pump ran nearly dry. This can generate a significant amount of heat in the pump, enough to boil water, generate steam, and warp or shrink the plumbing and destroy the seal set between the impeller and motor. A warped pump basket is a strong indicator this occurred.

Scott

The pump basket does not seem to be warped at all. After I attempt to flush out the skimmer lines with a drain king I will take apart the pump and see if the seal set needs replacement. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.