adding salt to pool

Mar 6, 2008
i am usually trying to find pool salt for my agp but i hear so many people are using the solar salt. how do you guys (and gals) usually put in the solar salt?? i know it takes a while for it to dissolve, and my pool manual doesnt recommend leaving salt on the bottom of the pool. can i put some in the skimmer and let the pump dissolve or what? i will need to put in about 120-150 lbs. of salt in to achieve 3000 ppm, according to my swg manual.

pool salt will dissolve in about 15 minutes, solar in about 25. Just dump it in the pool and kick it around with your feet or brush the pool. ONLY difference is pool salt has a smaller crystal but will cost up to twice as much! IF you have a SWG you will not be able to NOT have salt on the bottom when you need to add salt. It takes ANY kind of salt a full 24 hours of circulation to fully dissolve no matter what the type.

i know the pellets are bigger and unless you have a lot circulation its not going to dissolve fast. last year i put some in a 5 galllon bucket and filled with water and swirled the water for at least 2 hours and let sit overnite and it didnt dissolve. so i went and brought some pool salt cuz i figured i didnt have the time to try to get all those pellets to dissolve. i wish i could find something to break up the salt pellets so it can dissolve easier, but i havent come across anything yet. i wouldnt mind using the solar salt if i could find a way to get them to dissolve. my manual says not to let the salt stay on my liner too long as it may eat the liner.

solar salt is fast dissolving. the reason the pellets did not dissolve quickly in the bucket is just a basic chemistry of solutions. You probably had the solution superstaurated so no more salt would dissolve. when you place the same amount of salt into a poolful of water it will dissolve much more quickly. Teh samw would have happened if you had placed the same amount of pool salt in the bucket. A given volume of water can only dissolve so much salt and no more.The difference in dissolving time for solar salt and pools salt is neglegible. The salt should basically be dissolved within a hour, no matter which kind you use. , if you brush it or move it around. If it makes any difference to you I do work in the industry and know a bit of what I speak about.

ok i will try it. however, are there anything that is smaller that pellets besides ground up? im not in no hurry now as my pool isnt installed yet. i just brought a 18' venice pool, and im trying to get the ground level whenever it quit raining on me. last year i had a 15' intex easy set and had an excellent year with it.although it took a while to figure out the water chemistry with the swg it wasnt long that i can enjoy it all summer. i only had 1 algae problem, which was very suprising to me.(algae problem came while i was on vacation and a storm knocked out the power and the swghad to be retimed which didnt happen till i came back). but i had the pool salt last year,which i liked cuz iit was extremely easy. the easier it is, the quicker you can enjoy. thanks for helping me.

As a point of reference, I just added 200lbs of Morton Water Softner pellets (purchased at Sam's Club for $22.00 total). Added all 200lbs to the perimeter of deep end and all was dissolved in less than 1 hour in 45 degree water. I swept the pellets twice during the hour.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
crystals dissolve faster than pellets and the size of the crystal determines how fast it dissolves. The only difference between pool salt and solar salt is crystal size. However the smaller crystals of pool salt are more prone to caking since anti caking ingredients can't be used and if this happens dissolve time will go up. If you are that concerned about it why not just place the unopened bags of salt in the pool and slit the topside of the bags so the salt dissolves without touching the liner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.