Do you know what filter this is?

Mar 25, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Buying a house with a huge pool. Pool inspector says its 92 lf, 10' deep & about 25,000 gal. He says the pump needs to be replaced, wont do the job right.
Wants to replace with a 420sq ft Pentair Cartridge Filter for $1069.

Can anyone identify the filter from the photos? Or offer any advise on the pool filter he's suggesting?[attachment=2:3jp1a8p8]IMG_6552cropped.jpg[/attachment:3jp1a8p8][attachment=1:3jp1a8p8]IMG_6581cropped.jpg[/attachment:3jp1a8p8][attachment=0:3jp1a8p8]IMG_6582resized.jpg[/attachment:3jp1a8p8]

I'd say get a different pool guy. This guy is trying to take you for a ride, IMHO.

The filter looks like it's been there a while. It is a sand filter. Appears to be an old Sta-Rite or Purex. I'd search for part numbers on the Push Pull valve so as to find parts for rebuilding it. If the pool isn't getting blown sand by the eturns, it's fine.

The pump is an Ultra-Flow, If the motor is seized on the pump, then its a simple task to swap the motor.

PoolGuyNJ said:
I'd say get a different pool guy. This guy is trying to take you for a ride, IMHO.

The filter looks like it's been there a while. It is a sand filter. Appears to be an old Sta-Rite or Purex. I'd search for part numbers on the Push Pull valve so as to find parts for rebuilding it. If the pool isn't getting blown sand by the eturns, it's fine.

The pump is an Ultra-Flow, If the motor is seized on the pump, then its a simple task to swap the motor.

So I googled images of "Push Pull Valve" & it looks like your talking about the black pipe that runs vertically between the filter & moter that looks to have a label. Is that where the filter info would normaly be found? The pool guy said the filter didnt have any label on it...

Not having a label doesn't mean replace the filter. If it works, its fine. It's been there for quite a while. You might think that the previous owner, had they had problems, would have taken action long ago.

It appears to be an old American Products Eclipse model filter, from the mid to late '90s. Am-Pro became Pentair. If it's not leaking or blowing sand into the pool, there is no urgency to swap it out. Your pool is not too big for it. I will say that beyond rebuilding the push pull valve, any significant repairs might get me to to think about it but just being older doesn't justify the expense.

Unless you have water restrictions, a cartridge is not my #1 choice for a replacement. I base my recommendations for sand, cartridge, or DE on a number of criteria.

Things I consider: Is the pool lit?, Is the environment free of dirt and pollen., how big is the pool, how powerful is the pump, and several other factors, is the homeowner mechanically inclined, and so on. There is no one right answer as to which is best for you..

Scott

PoolGuyNJ said:
Not having a label doesn't mean replace the filter. If it works, its fine. It's been there for quite a while. You might think that the previous owner, had they had problems, would have taken action long ago.

It appears to be an old American Products Eclipse model filter, from the mid to late '90s. Am-Pro became Pentair. If it's not leaking or blowing sand into the pool, there is no urgency to swap it out. Your pool is not too big for it. I will say that beyond rebuilding the push pull valve, any significant repairs might get me to to think about it but just being older doesn't justify the expense.

Unless you have water restrictions, a cartridge is not my #1 choice for a replacement. I base my recommendations for sand, cartridge, or DE on a number of criteria.

Things I consider: Is the pool lit?, Is the environment free of dirt and pollen., how big is the pool, how powerful is the pump, and several other factors, is the homeowner mechanically inclined, and so on. There is no one right answer as to which is best for you..

Scott

No, we wont be replacing the filter unless we have to. If it works don't fix it. I just worry because the pool is already in trouble & I don't know what troubles I'm buying. I want to be prepared before summers here again.

I'm trying to find out what make & model this filter is so that I can try to figure out if this is the correct size for this pool.

Inspector said he checked all components & they work properly, including the pump which he said is a 1 hp.

Pool was very dirty, leaning towards green when we first saw it in early Oct. When we saw it again in Dec it was cleaner but had bits floating which the pool guy said was dead algea. We don't have water restrictions that I know of, as in amount of water usage. Pool is exposed to AZ sun for most of the day & has an old light that still works for night. As for dirt & pollen we have lots of mature trees & of course we live in the desert so plenty of dust. My husband is very mechanically inclined, I'm just his researcher you might say.

I've been looking into the American Products Eclipse model filter & I agree it sure looks like that's the one. Now I'm looking for a manual or something to work with...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.